Lancaster university - what is it like?

Watch
Fruity Girl
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by annamarshall)
Hi, I've applied to Lancaster for biological sciences with biomedicine.
I can't decide which university to put as my firm and insurance between Lancaster and Warwick, I know you might be biased but if you have any advice to help me pick between the two that would be great.
Also, are there certain reputations for each college and do you get a different type/ class etc of people in each one? I really liked cartmel and fylde I think (when I visited) and I'm quite set on having an ensuite, any advice on that?
Thanks!
Not sure if you’ll see this but which did you end up going to ? Looking at biological sciences for 2022 entry - thanks
normaw
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂)
Wow this thread goes back a few years, and daughters seen Watchdevante videos too before she joined in September of 2020.
She does particle physics and cosmology Manitude is right about the interview days. I believe last year they was interviewing right up until this February and there was a few different days.
Lancasters very good for physics internships and she got one in first year in the summer doing an online project. Not saying they fall into your lap of course, you got to express your keenness to the supervisor and the dept. Lancaster uni itself has all you need. Shops, bars at every college, loads of eateries, and the library capacity has increased by a third, making it a very large library compared to some others ive seen on open day. Lancaster city is smaller than other cities like Nottingham or Leeds, but it still has 3 clubs and 2 shopping centres. Lancaster city is very good for 2nd year to live in if you don't want to feel overwhelmed by the larger city. You do not feel like a small fish in a big pond when it comes to Lancaster. I would imagine if your from London or Manchester, this must feel very quiet, but as a smaller city, you get smaller crime rates too.
I cant speak for all courses, but physics is excellent, and I also hear good reports on management and business, biochem, and also English as well.
My son started studying Architecture at Lancaster this year and so far he is loving the course and the facilities provided by the department. The course is new to Lancaster (the first cohort of undergraduates started in 2020). He is also very happy with the standard of accommodation and the campus, and he has enjoyed quite a few nights out in Lancaster so far.
Lancaster University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fruity Girl)
Not sure if you’ll see this but which did you end up going to ? Looking at biological sciences for 2022 entry - thanks
Hi Fruity Girl,

I am not studying the course specifically, but I do have a good general knowledge of the course and about university life at Lancaster if you have any questions about those things.

I do have colleagues, friends and flatmates who all study the course, all of them seem to love the subject and seem very much happy they chose it here.

Hope this helps,
Jake (third year at Lancaster University)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.06%
Okay (99)
29.29%
A bit lacking (122)
36.09%
Not good at all (83)
24.56%

Watched Threads