Are the HL subject requirements given by unis important

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I saw that some of the unis I'm applying to require 766 in your Higher levels. The problem with me is that 2 of my Higher levels are my worst two subjects. Currently I have predicted 39/40 points. Depending on the 3 bonus points.
    7 in math SL
    6 in econ SL
    7 in english literature SL
    7 in History HL
    5 in german lang lit A HL
    5 in physics HL

As you can see overall I'm scoring quite high however my HL grades are under the expectations of the unis I'm applying to. Currently I'm aiming to apply to cambridge and Edinburgh both want 776 and overall score in 40s. Also I will be applying to glasgow and st andrews. I haven't decided what the 5th uni will be.

I was wondering how important these HL requirements are especially since none of the courses I'm applying to have anything to do with physics or German. and if I achieve a high enough overall score would the lower scores in my HL subjects be ignored?

ReputationRep:
    I started with IB, now an A level student but this was part of the reason I swapped. One of my higher's was a 5, and I felt like I was weak on my standards, and I was told my predictions should meet the HL score minimum when researching courses, as schools can often boost your SL predictions. I was predicted similar score to you too, but I was given reassurance that come results day, if you meet the score offer but miss the Higher, they may be more lenient and therefore I think your HL scores are important.

ReputationRep:
    I know that HL scores are important but I'm confident that I can definitely achieve my predictions especially the SL ones. I would have preferred to have economics as a higher lvl instead of physics and english instead of german. However my shcool isn't that big and options were limited. Originally I had german B as I used to live in england and was never taugh german properly however my parents are german and I have now lived three years in germany so I was forced to take the lannguage A course.
    My school prefers to predict you a grade lower if they are unsure whether you will achieve that grade. I may even be able to boost my economics to a level 7 if I revise a lot and practice on past papers. My German is currently I high 5 so I might get a level 6 but it is one of those subjects that are quite unpredictable. And physics is just not my subject, it is likely going to be almost impossible to get over a 5 however I'm planning to start revising for it very early on and to work methodically through the textbook and marking scheme. And you never no I might be able to get a lvl 6.
    What I'm wondering is whether the unis will give me an offer that is above my predicted and see whether I can achieve it or will they look at my predictions and just ignore me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Gee)
    I know that HL scores are important but I'm confident that I can definitely achieve my predictions especially the SL ones. I would have preferred to have economics as a higher lvl instead of physics and english instead of german. However my shcool isn't that big and options were limited. Originally I had german B as I used to live in england and was never taugh german properly however my parents are german and I have now lived three years in germany so I was forced to take the lannguage A course.
    My school prefers to predict you a grade lower if they are unsure whether you will achieve that grade. I may even be able to boost my economics to a level 7 if I revise a lot and practice on past papers. My German is currently I high 5 so I might get a level 6 but it is one of those subjects that are quite unpredictable. And physics is just not my subject, it is likely going to be almost impossible to get over a 5 however I'm planning to start revising for it very early on and to work methodically through the textbook and marking scheme. And you never no I might be able to get a lvl 6.
    What I'm wondering is whether the unis will give me an offer that is above my predicted and see whether I can achieve it or will they look at my predictions and just ignore me.
    Some will give above and see whether you will get it, others will ignore you and immedielty reject, it depends on whether your statement is good enough or them to feel like you will make the most of their course and get a first or 2:1. You could get your reference to mention your case to reasons why your results are lower than the standard offer. Alternatively, you apply to a range of universities (in terms of offer) as a backup or apply post-results.

Just out of interest what course are you interested in? (More competitive courses are more likely to discard if below the grades, whereas less competitive may look at your application fully)

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm in a similar situation, my IB grades are almost good enough but my highers are 775 (chem, bio, 5 in maths) I also want to apply for cambridge. What I've done so far is emailing admission tutors to see if they mind very much. St. John's college at cambridge didn't have IB requirements on their page so I sent an email to ask. GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiuchen)
    Hiya, I'm in a similar situation, my IB grades are almost good enough but my highers are 775 (chem, bio, 5 in maths) I also want to apply for cambridge. What I've done so far is emailing admission tutors to see if they mind very much. St. John's college at cambridge didn't have IB requirements on their page so I sent an email to ask. GOOD LUCK!
    This is something you can do, so you don't waste your choice. I think default offers apply for Cambridge. Basically 41 points or so and 766 or 776 (Someone fact-check here)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xphoenix)
    This is something you can do, so you don't waste your choice. I think default offers apply for Cambridge. Basically 41 points or so and 766 or 776 (Someone fact-check here)
    yeah thats the standard offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xphoenix)
    All colleges ask for 776, King's used to ask for 766 but have increased itl

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.