Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help w Maths🙃 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    T to the power 3= mn/m-n

M=4x10 to the power 12
    N=3x10 to the power 9

Work out T.

Eh I multiplied m and n together (to get MN) and got 12x10 to the power 21 (I know you can't have numbers above 12 in standard form but I have no idea whether what I'm doing is correct).

Then I did m-n and got 1x10 to the power 3.

Did the division sum= 12x10 to the power 21 divided by 1x10 to the power 3 and got 12x10 to the power 18=1.2x10 to the power 19.

T to the power 3= 1.2x10 to the power 19.

'Cube rooted' it and the answer I got for T was 2289428.485.

It wants the answer in standard form to 3 significant figures= 2.29x10 the power 6.

Is this completely wrong or? Probably just over complicated a really simple question but help would be appreciated
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idfk_)
    X
    Your first step (m x n) is correct. However, 4\times 10^{12} - 3\times 10^9 is not 1\times 10^3. Adding and subtracting gets a bit more complicated if the tens are to different powers (you do not subtract the exponents if you're just doing subtraction) so if you're not using a calculator, you need to manually put them to the same power. 3\times 10^9 = 0.003\times 10^12 so m - n = 4\times 10^{12} - 0.003\times 10^{12} = 3.997 \times 10^{12}.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Your first step (m x n) is correct. However, 4\times 10^{12} - 3\times 10^9 is not 1\times 10^3. Adding and subtracting gets a bit more complicated if the tens are to different powers (you do not subtract the exponents if you're just doing subtraction) so if you're not using a calculator, you need to manually put them to the same power. 3\times 10^9 = 0.003\times 10^12 so m - n = 4\times 10^{12} - 0.003\times 10^{12} = 3.997 \times 10^{12}.
    Thankyou!!

So, would I go about it the same way when I do the division and then cube root the answer to get to T?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idfk_)
    Thankyou!!

So, would I go about it the same way when I do the division and then cube root the answer to get to T?
    So you now know what mn and m-n are ( 12 \times 10^{21} = 1.2 \times 10^{22} and  3.997\times 10^{12} respectively) so yes, you just do a simple division. You will probably want to do this on your calculator though, unless you're particularly keen on working out what \frac{1.2}{3.997} is by hand!

ReputationRep:
    So you now know what mn and m-n are ( 12 \times 10^{21} = 1.2 \times 10^{22} and  3.997\times 10^{12} respectively) so yes, you just do a simple division. You will probably want to do this on your calculator though, unless you're particularly keen on working out what \frac{1.2}{3.997} is by hand!
    Calculator it is.

From that I get the answer 3002251689. Cube root it to get T=1442.610313

Which is equal to 1.44x10 to the power 3?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idfk_)
    Calculator it is.

From that I get the answer 3002251689. Cube root it to get T=1442.610313

Which is equal to 1.44x10 to the power 3?
    Yep, that's what I've got! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, that's what I've got! :yep:
    Again, thanks a lot! Wouldn't have got to that myself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.