Turkey's membership bid into EU! Watch

mezitli
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I would like to find out the general mood about Turkey's possible membership of EU within the next decades.

Should we reject it on basis on its records regarding human rights in particular with its treatment towards Kurdish ethnic communities or accept to send out a message that EU is an embracing not a confronting union?
gas_panic!
Badges: 12
Report 11 years ago
Reject them, otherwise we'll end up with hundreds of thousands of nutters coming over here causing trouble.
Varsity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Im for it. Turkey need to make some changes, but this could be the start of something new between the EU and the Arab world.

The human rights abuses suck, but every country has done something bad in its time.
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by gas_panic!)
Reject them, otherwise we'll end up with hundreds of thousands of nutters coming over here causing trouble.
Accept them, otherwise we'll end up with hundreds of thousands of nutters coming over here causing trouble.
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Varsity)
Im for it. Turkey need to make some changes, but this could be the start of something new between the EU and the Arab world.
Unlikely. Turkey is pro Israel etc.
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The matter of Turkey is basically a battle between the EU (acting as a proxy for the West in general) and the Arab League for the "soul" of the country. time is running out for the EU, because the more we stall and complain and reject Turkey's advances the more likely it is that they're going to get fed up (this is already beginning to happen) and simply turn East instead, which would be a bad thing for both them and us.

With that in mind, it's my opinion that getting Turkey onside is sufficiently important to justify dropping at least some of the Copenhagen criteria for EU membership. Yes, I appreciate that this might cause just a little bit of friction with those countries that are home to ethnic groups the Ottomans tried to exterminate less than a century ago, but once they're in we can at least begin to talk, and if necessary bash heads.
SuperDaz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There doesnt seem like a lot of enthusiasm towards it at the moment from any side tbh. The approval ratings of Turkey joining the EU are very low all across the EU countries, especially the ones with large far right parties like Austria and Denmark.

The power houses of Germany and France have changed their tune in recent years too with Chirac and Schroeder being turfed out. Sarkozy is against it and Merkel wants a watered down agreement. Even GB, who have always been the biggest advocates of Turkey joining are starting to soften their tone as Brown is a lot more eurosceptic than Blair ever was.

And Agent Smith is dead right, the Turks attitude towards the EU is changing. They're getting sick of things stalling and some of the attitudes towards enlargement by the west. I think their opinion will be a larger stalling point in 10 years than the views of right wing europe.

Then theres the small matter of Cyprus of course :doh:

I think there will be some sort of half way house realpolitik agreement reached with Turkey at some point where trade, oil, gas agreements etc will be ironed out while social cohesion, integration and the like will be mostly ignored.
lamenter
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think you can have Turkey in the EU. For one they are muslims (well some aren't and others are muslims part-time),secondaly they are poor and their population is growing fast. The influx we will get will be probably a lot more then the Poles ever managed.

(Original post by Agent Smith)
The matter of Turkey is basically a battle between the EU (acting as a proxy for the West in general) and the Arab League for the "soul" of the country. time is running out for the EU, because the more we stall and complain and reject Turkey's advances the more likely it is that they're going to get fed up (this is already beginning to happen) and simply turn East instead, which would be a bad thing for both them and us.

With that in mind, it's my opinion that getting Turkey onside is sufficiently important to justify dropping at least some of the Copenhagen criteria for EU membership. Yes, I appreciate that this might cause just a little bit of friction with those countries that are home to ethnic groups the Ottomans tried to exterminate less than a century ago, but once they're in we can at least begin to talk, and if necessary bash heads.
You mean the Arab "We condom this and that oh mate pass me some of that tea" League? I swear all they do is just sit,talk and drink tea. The only thing useful they tried was to make peace with Israel which was rejected. They suck and Turkey isn't being influenced by them. Ataturks removal of arabic culture from Turkey is still working.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lamenter)
I don't think you can have Turkey in the EU. For one they are muslims (well some aren't and others are muslims part-time),secondaly they are poor and their population is growing fast. The influx we will get will be probably a lot more then the Poles ever managed.
can you elaborate on the "muslims" part, is this a categoric rejection on principle?

(Original post by lamenter)
You mean the Arab "We condom this and that oh mate pass me some of that tea" League? I swear all they do is just sit,talk and drink tea. The only thing useful they tried was to make peace with Israel which was rejected. They suck and Turkey isn't being influenced by them. Ataturks removal of arabic culture from Turkey is still working.
I really don't understand this after reading it, I just crack up at that quote!
"We condom this and that oh mate pass me some of that tea", I don't understand it at all! Turkey isn't being influenced by who?
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by john !!)
I really don't understand this after reading it, I just crack up at that quote!
"We condom this and that oh mate pass me some of that tea", I don't understand it at all! Turkey isn't being influenced by who?
"Condone", possibly. Or an amalgam of that and "condemn".
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's not even that though, what does tea have to do with anything?
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Varsity)

The human rights abuses suck, but every country has done something bad in its time.
Turkey isn't Arab...
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Accept. They have been working harder to meet the prerequisites, and will continue to do so i feel. It would be a very good catch for the west to have an Islamic bond, you know, baby steps. And once they do join, checks on their record for human rtights will become ever-more stringent, and they will be dragged into better performancer. Good for the Turkish, good for Westerm relations with members of the Islamic faith.
Greyhound02
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If Turkish membership is more likely to lead to the implosion and collapse of the EU, then they must join asap. If not, then no.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)

By the time a "yo momma" joke has spread itself around the world, common sense is still in bed having its pre-shower masturbatory session.

Agent Smith is a noble exception to this rule and as such I find myself in pointed agreement with the above.
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree with AS too - well, as long as Turkey keeps putting condoms on things. The country can only improve as a result.
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cottonmouth)
Accept. They have been working harder to meet the prerequisites, and will continue to do so i feel. It would be a very good catch for the west to have an Islamic bond, you know, baby steps. And once they do join, checks on their record for human rtights will become ever-more stringent, and they will be dragged into better performancer. Good for the Turkish, good for Westerm relations with members of the Islamic faith.
People said a similar thing about China when granting it the Olympics
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Apagg)
People said a similar thing about China when granting it the Olympics
And hosting a few sporting games is the same as joining the EU how? Merely saying " be nice" with no real obligation to do so, with the only ramification of disobeying being that the games move elsewhere, is kinda different from unilateral enforceable obligations that will define or destory a country's economy.
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Games are a massive symbol of international prestige - until they were awarded them, China worked hard to improve its human rights image, but on getting them its efforts appear to have slackened. I think a similar thing is perfectly possible with Turkey and the EU.
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Apagg)
The Games are a massive symbol of international prestige - until they were awarded them, China worked hard to improve its human rights image, but on getting them its efforts appear to have slackened. I think a similar thing is perfectly possible with Turkey and the EU.
The difference is, I think, that the Olympics is a one-off, while joining the EU is permanent, at least theoretically. The EU would be in a position to apply constant pressure to Turkey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (116)
72.96%
No (43)
27.04%

Watched Threads