Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel depressed and hopeless at uni Watch

Announcements

I've been at uni for 3 weeks now, and I am completely friendless and alone and isolated and depressed.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was younger, and have always felt anxious in social situations, but it was never this bad. Back home I did have friends and multiple friend groups who I would do stuff with.

But at uni, things have gotten very bad. The people are nice, but I don't know how to make friends, and even if I could they are all already in established friend groups. There have been many social events and uni societies, but in the first week I was way too anxious to go to anything. Every time I thought of going to something, my heart rate would increase, I'd find it hard to breathe and I felt too terrified. Even if I could get past that and go to an event, by this point everyone else there would know each other and I'd be too anxious to say anything.

I don't see things changing any time soon, and I'm worried the next few years of my life (maybe my entire life) is going to be this bleak.

Because of these feelings, I feel low and tired at all times, my appetite has gone, and I can't focus on any uni work. I had an assignment due in earlier today and when I sat down to do it, I couldn't focus and starting thinking about my life, and broke down in tears in my room. I called Samaritans, and that helped a bit but I don't think I'm good enough at explaining things down the phone for the person to understand and help.

The uni will send me an alert for missing a class and the assignment, and if it happens a few more times they'll kick me off the course.

I want to do my degree. I want to be happy, but it doesn't seem like its ever going to happen. I need help but I don't know where to find it.

Sorry this is so long

ReputationRep:
    Something I think will be helpful for you is to focus on one to one small interactions first before worrying about how you'll fit into a large group. Sign up go a volunteering society at your university and go to it. Seriously it'll help you, it'll give you some time out and you'll be talking to the people there about volunteering so you'll have a mutual interest as well. Don't focus on how you'll be perceived by the person you're talking to. Put Your energy into the actual conversation and what's being said
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been at uni for 3 weeks now, and I am completely friendless and alone and isolated and depressed.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was younger, and have always felt anxious in social situations, but it was never this bad. Back home I did have friends and multiple friend groups who I would do stuff with.

But at uni, things have gotten very bad. The people are nice, but I don't know how to make friends, and even if I could they are all already in established friend groups. There have been many social events and uni societies, but in the first week I was way too anxious to go to anything. Every time I thought of going to something, my heart rate would increase, I'd find it hard to breathe and I felt too terrified. Even if I could get past that and go to an event, by this point everyone else there would know each other and I'd be too anxious to say anything.

I don't see things changing any time soon, and I'm worried the next few years of my life (maybe my entire life) is going to be this bleak.

Because of these feelings, I feel low and tired at all times, my appetite has gone, and I can't focus on any uni work. I had an assignment due in earlier today and when I sat down to do it, I couldn't focus and starting thinking about my life, and broke down in tears in my room. I called Samaritans, and that helped a bit but I don't think I'm good enough at explaining things down the phone for the person to understand and help.

The uni will send me an alert for missing a class and the assignment, and if it happens a few more times they'll kick me off the course.

I want to do my degree. I want to be happy, but it doesn't seem like its ever going to happen. I need help but I don't know where to find it.

Sorry this is so long
    I'm so sorry to read that you're struggling.

Moving away from home and being away from your support network can be really stressful and can take a while to adjust to.

Try to remember that everyone is in the same boat and most people will be more than happy to chat and get to know you. I know it is easier said than done, but it will get better and easier. What is also important to remember is that you're not alone. There are students across the country and even at your university that are feelings exactly the same as you are.

Contact your university to let them know what is going on with you. They will be able to offer an extension for your work and can also provide any further support you may need (whether it's counselling or just general advice). If you feel really low again, call the Samaritans and maybe jot down some bullet points about how you're feeling before you call, just to help you explain etc

I really hope this helps and please don't feel alone. We're always here and things will get better.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.