Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA Separate Science ISAs Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm trying to get some information because my sons school may have lost some of his chemistry and biology ISA.

My son told me at the end of year he had got 43/50 fo his chemistry ISA and had done his biology but not his physics.

I have just been in touch with the school who told me he has done section one in his chemistry and got 17/20 and done section one in his biology and got a C but not done section 2 on ether of them.

My sons not the sort of person who reads the AQA web site for fun so would definately have no idea the ISAs were marked out of 50 so I'm sure he is not mistaken about this

Thy also confirmed he had not done his physics ISA.

I was under the impression that when you did the ISA you did section one then did section two straight after or the result would not be valid. Is this correct?

I also thought you could have 3 attempts at the ISA for each subject if you're doing separate sciences and the school submit your best one. Is this correct?

Also is there any time limit on how long ISAs are valid if you're doing AQA separate sciences? I'm only asking this as my daughter did combined triple sciences and the ISA for the particular exam had to be done within the same 12 month period.

Thanks for any help

I

ReputationRep:
    I know you can resit as I'm doing mine again in february but I'm pretty sure it's up to the school also for chemistry 43/50 would be just about an A or a B that mark would be for the whole ISA as well not just section 1

Hope that helps
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabath)
    Hi

I'm trying to get some information because my sons school may have lost some of his chemistry and biology ISA.

My son told me at the end of year he had got 43/50 for his chemistry ISA and had done his biology but not his physics.

I have just been in touch with the school who told me he has done section one in his chemistry and got 17/20 and done section one in his biology and got a C but not done section 2.

Thy also confirmed he had not done his physics ISA.

I was under the impression that when you did the ISA you did section one then did section two straight after or the result would not be valid. Is this correct?

I also thought you could have 3 attempts at the ISA for each subject if you're doing separate sciences and the school submit your best one. Is this correct?

Also is there any time limit on how long ISAs are valid if you're doing AQA separate sciences? I'm only asking this as my daughter did combined triple sciences and the ISA for the particular exam had to be done within the same 12 month period.

Thanks for any help

I
    Well firstly I would say don't take every word your son says at face value. As far as he is concerned, he may have done a paper for the ISA and that would be done.(The number of people in our triple science class who were shocked at having to do a second physics ISA paper was astounding, and this was after we'd already done 3 ISAs). Also, many schools do an ISA from a previous year as a practise so he could have done one of those and got 43/50 in that one. Teachers do not always tell students it is a practise as otherwise they may not try so he may not have been told it was a practise even if it was.
    When you do section 2 is up to the teacher. Generally you would do section 1, then the practical element, then section 2 however some schools would be happy to leave that over the summer. Others, such as mine, said any ones which were started had to be finished as you would forget stuff over the summer. I'm 95% sure you are able to do section 1 before the summer, and section 2 after the summer so this should not be a problem. (I certainly know people who have done this, and a search on AQA's website does not bring up anything contrary to this).
    It is correct that for separate sciences you can attempt 3 ISAs for each sub science and the best one is submitted, however schools do not have to do multiple ones, it is up to them to decide how many to do (obviously up to 3). Also, you cannot repeat the same ISA, but you must do the ones from the triple syllabus (I would assume that your son has already done/started the additional one as this one is generally considered easier so done first.) Because they are using the triple syllabus, he may have to wait a while before a second one can be done as he would need to learn the triple stuff so that he is capable of doing the ISA well.
    I believe the time limit for the ISAs is as you say 12 months before they are submitted. Hence, as all coursework is submitted at the beginning of May, any ISAs must be done after this the previous year. Practise ones however can obviously be done before this as the exam board does not keep record of any practise ISAs done.
    Hope this answers all your questions, if you have any more, then feel free to quote me and I'll try my best to answer them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Well firstly I would say don't take every word your son says at face value. As far as he is concerned, he may have done a paper for the ISA and that would be done.(The number of people in our triple science class who were shocked at having to do a second physics ISA paper was astounding, and this was after we'd already done 3 ISAs). Also, many schools do an ISA from a previous year as a practise so he could have done one of those and got 43/50 in that one. Teachers do not always tell students it is a practise as otherwise they may not try so he may not have been told it was a practise even if it was.
    When you do section 2 is up to the teacher. Generally you would do section 1, then the practical element, then section 2 however some schools would be happy to leave that over the summer. Others, such as mine, said any ones which were started had to be finished as you would forget stuff over the summer. I'm 95% sure you are able to do section 1 before the summer, and section 2 after the summer so this should not be a problem. (I certainly know people who have done this, and a search on AQA's website does not bring up anything contrary to this).
    It is correct that for separate sciences you can attempt 3 ISAs for each sub science and the best one is submitted, however schools do not have to do multiple ones, it is up to them to decide how many to do (obviously up to 3). Also, you cannot repeat the same ISA, but you must do the ones from the triple syllabus (I would assume that your son has already done/started the additional one as this one is generally considered easier so done first.) Because they are using the triple syllabus, he may have to wait a while before a second one can be done as he would need to learn the triple stuff so that he is capable of doing the ISA well.
    I believe the time limit for the ISAs is as you say 12 months before they are submitted. Hence, as all coursework is submitted at the beginning of May, any ISAs must be done after this the previous year. Practise ones however can obviously be done before this as the exam board does not keep record of any practise ISAs done.
    Hope this answers all your questions, if you have any more, then feel free to quote me and I'll try my best to answer them

Thanks for the reply. I may not have been too clear. He's not doing triple science, hes doiing the three separate sciences (only has exams at the end of year 11).

As I understand it the school can do three ISAs, one that is level 2 and two at level 3?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. I may not have been too clear. He's not doing triple science, hes doiing the three separate sciences (only has exams at the end of year 11).

As I understand it the school can do three ISAs, one that is level 2 and two at level 3?
    Triple Science is three separate sciences; Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSEs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Triple science is the separate sciences as said above. There are 9 exams in total at the end of the year, of which B1, B2, B3 and biology ISA group together to give you one qualification, then C1, C2, C3 and chemistry ISA group together for a second qualification, then P1, P2, P3 and the physics ISA group together for the third qualification, giving 3 separate science qualifications in biology, chemistry and physics.
    Yes, the school can do one "level two" ISA, or an "additional unit" ISA, plus two "level three" or "further additional" ISAs

ReputationRep:

Triple Science means Biology, Chemsitry and Physics. Every examination cycle (1 year) schools have access to 3 ISAs for each science, 1 in the second unit of the science and 2 for the third unit of the science. These are just different units, they're not levels. For example in Chemistry you have C1, C2 and C3. However most schools won't do 3 ISAs for each science as you only need to do one. Most schools will just take one ISA for each science and send that off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.