Tips for going into agency work (claiming travel fee...etc)

Watch
MDERI
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys, long time TSR user with a new account here.

I just graduated this summer and as you all know its hard to kickstart a career off immediately. I graduated in Biomedical Sciences and decided that my best opportunity for work i'm interested in would be for now to join an agency to gain key experience in order to further my future career.

I decided on joining a couple of agencies and after finalising everything including mandatory training I got my first good sign today from an agency called mediplacements. I was told that I had just been shortlisted for a job as a MLA (Medical Lab Assistant) with 2 other people (basically a 1/3 chance i get it).

Obviously I expressed great interest straight away and said I am very keen, however the only issue, which I am willing to work with, is the travel distance and cost. It is 2 hours each way via rail and sadly I dont drive, also the prices arent cheap for the train tickets I require.
This reminded me of a conversation I had with an agency worker a while back in which he said to me that he claims travel expenses, and he also did something, along the lines of being a limited company, with how he was getting paid both of which he said were very helpful for him.

Therefore my question is asking whether if claiming travel expenses is indeed true and if so how? and also what he meant by he was set up as a limited company, what this means and if possible should I do the same.

Thanks ( :
MonsoonFlower
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MDERI)
Hi guys, long time TSR user with a new account here.

I just graduated this summer and as you all know its hard to kickstart a career off immediately. I graduated in Biomedical Sciences and decided that my best opportunity for work i'm interested in would be for now to join an agency to gain key experience in order to further my future career.

I decided on joining a couple of agencies and after finalising everything including mandatory training I got my first good sign today from an agency called mediplacements. I was told that I had just been shortlisted for a job as a MLA (Medical Lab Assistant) with 2 other people (basically a 1/3 chance i get it).

Obviously I expressed great interest straight away and said I am very keen, however the only issue, which I am willing to work with, is the travel distance and cost. It is 2 hours each way via rail and sadly I dont drive, also the prices arent cheap for the train tickets I require.
This reminded me of a conversation I had with an agency worker a while back in which he said to me that he claims travel expenses, and he also did something, along the lines of being a limited company, with how he was getting paid both of which he said were very helpful for him.

Therefore my question is asking whether if claiming travel expenses is indeed true and if so how? and also what he meant by he was set up as a limited company, what this means and if possible should I do the same.

Thanks ( :
That depends on the assignment (the temp job) and the agency as they have different policies and procedures. When I worked as a temp at a national recruitment agency I claimed my expenses but not all of it because I didn't work enough hours to claim it.
However in my second temp job at another agency I claimed all of my expenses because they were using an umbrella company called Giant (they're very well known to pay more for some reason).

Overall it just depends on the agency and the temp job itself really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.48%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.52%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.83%
I need help with my personal statement (60)
41.38%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
24.83%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.07%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.9%

Watched Threads