Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips for going into agency work (claiming travel fee...etc) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, long time TSR user with a new account here.

I just graduated this summer and as you all know its hard to kickstart a career off immediately. I graduated in Biomedical Sciences and decided that my best opportunity for work i'm interested in would be for now to join an agency to gain key experience in order to further my future career.

I decided on joining a couple of agencies and after finalising everything including mandatory training I got my first good sign today from an agency called mediplacements. I was told that I had just been shortlisted for a job as a MLA (Medical Lab Assistant) with 2 other people (basically a 1/3 chance i get it).

Obviously I expressed great interest straight away and said I am very keen, however the only issue, which I am willing to work with, is the travel distance and cost. It is 2 hours each way via rail and sadly I dont drive, also the prices arent cheap for the train tickets I require.
    This reminded me of a conversation I had with an agency worker a while back in which he said to me that he claims travel expenses, and he also did something, along the lines of being a limited company, with how he was getting paid both of which he said were very helpful for him.

Therefore my question is asking whether if claiming travel expenses is indeed true and if so how? and also what he meant by he was set up as a limited company, what this means and if possible should I do the same.

Thanks ( :
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDERI)

I just graduated this summer and as you all know its hard to kickstart a career off immediately. I graduated in Biomedical Sciences and decided that my best opportunity for work i'm interested in would be for now to join an agency to gain key experience in order to further my future career.

I decided on joining a couple of agencies and after finalising everything including mandatory training I got my first good sign today from an agency called mediplacements. I was told that I had just been shortlisted for a job as a MLA (Medical Lab Assistant) with 2 other people (basically a 1/3 chance i get it).

Obviously I expressed great interest straight away and said I am very keen, however the only issue, which I am willing to work with, is the travel distance and cost. It is 2 hours each way via rail and sadly I dont drive, also the prices arent cheap for the train tickets I require.
    This reminded me of a conversation I had with an agency worker a while back in which he said to me that he claims travel expenses, and he also did something, along the lines of being a limited company, with how he was getting paid both of which he said were very helpful for him.

Therefore my question is asking whether if claiming travel expenses is indeed true and if so how? and also what he meant by he was set up as a limited company, what this means and if possible should I do the same.

Thanks ( :
    You can either become an employee of the company and pay income tax through PAYE (pay as you earn) or you can set up a limited company via Companies House and HMRC, invoice the company you are contracted to work for, pay corporation tax and then pay yourself a salary/dividends via your limited company (which are also subject to income tax).

With contractor roles working through a ltd co can be beneficial as there are some tax benefits. You need to get advice on your individual circumstances as to whether it would be better to go via a Limited company or via PAYE. It tends to be if you are going to earn enough to hit the 40% income tax threshold, it could be better to go via a Limited Company.

If you do go through your own limited company, then you will be responsible for the businesses accounts and submitting annual accounts to HMRC, as well as other compliance issues. You will also have to do a personal tax self assessment each year too. Not everyone likes this idea/responsibility, so just go via PAYE instead for ease. You also have no employee rights - e.g. holiday leave, sick pay etc, right to tribunals etc. Some people like the security you get via PAYE.

There is a middle ground of working under an umbrella company. But they will take a cut of your billed work, but will ensure all the compliance side is completed and that it is as tax efficient as possible.

Claiming travel expenses is going to depend on your circumstances. If you are PAYE it is better to negotiate your salary so it covers some of your travel costs. If you are an employee, it is rare for an organisation to cover all your travel expenses outright, but they might give you a benefit or an allowance towards it. For instance, someone I know gets a figure calculated on how far they live from the office and this is applied to all employees fairly.

If you are working via your ltd company, when agreeing your hour/day/week rate, you would also negotiate whether you would get a travel allowance incorporated into this rate or whether you could claim any expenses.

Whatever the outcome, wait until you have got the offer (whether a PAYE or Ltd Co offer) and see what they are offering you first. Some organisations will have incorporated some form of travel allowance/benefit and that will be included in the contract. If you feel that isn't enough, then try to negotiate n increase in the pay amount to reflect that. They might not agree to any increases, but negotiating is quite common no whether you are PAYE or a Ltd Co.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDERI)

Thanks ( :
    That depends on the assignment (the temp job) and the agency as they have different policies and procedures. When I worked as a temp at a national recruitment agency I claimed my expenses but not all of it because I didn't work enough hours to claim it.
    However in my second temp job at another agency I claimed all of my expenses because they were using an umbrella company called Giant (they're very well known to pay more for some reason).

Overall it just depends on the agency and the temp job itself really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.