Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Universal credit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been on universal credit for about a month and during the last week of the last assesment period (which has just ended) I started working. I'm advised by my doctor to start off with 16 hours a week and now I'm working that amount I'm not sure if I'm still meant to do work searches. I've messaged my work coach but she hasn't replied yet.

My other question is when will this change of circumstances effect the universal credit payments? I've logged into the website and it says my next payment is the normal amount?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    The change in circumstances will effect the amount you'll receive. You can earn a certain amount before your payments are effected. You need to inform the DWP that you've started part time work.

ReputationRep:
    What Tiger Rag said

ReputationRep:
    I reported it through my journal online the day I started because that's what I was told by my work coach. I haven't heard anything else from my work coach or universal credit. I'm wondering if the effect takes place during the next full assesment period because the payment I'm due this week is the normal amount accoring to my journal. Doesn't explain why I havent been asked about hours or pay from anyone though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You're paid in arrears.

Either way, you do need to inform them once you start work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You're paid in arrears.

Either way, you do need to inform them once you start work.
    Online through my journal? Become that's how I was told to do it by my work coach.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise909090)
    Hi, I've been on universal credit for about a month and during the last week of the last assesment period (which has just ended) I started working. I'm advised by my doctor to start off with 16 hours a week and now I'm working that amount I'm not sure if I'm still meant to do work searches. I've messaged my work coach but she hasn't replied yet.

My other question is when will this change of circumstances effect the universal credit payments? I've logged into the website and it says my next payment is the normal amount?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    When you signed upto universal credit you agreed to look for work for x number of hours per week and this is still the case minus the number of hours you work.

All you need do is ring the center and inform them your working now and contracted to x hours, they'll adjust your payment every month automatically based on your net earnings. You'll still need to see your work coach though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.