first year uni tips?
how do some people socialise Watch
- Thread Starter
Last edited by alevelstudent217; 26-09-2016 at 17:48.
- 26-09-2016 17:37
- Community Assistant
- 26-09-2016 23:35
So you're looking for socialising tips for your First Year at university?
Well, at the end of the day, everybody is different and what works for some people, may not work for you - once you're there, you'll discover your own style!
For me I'd suggest these things;
- When moving into halls, BUY A DOORSTOP and prop your door open on moving in day and generally when you're chilling in your room. This allows people to know that you're open for a chat and don't mind socialising.
- Don't be afraid to knock on other peoples doors and have a chat with them, offer them a cuppa, ask if they wanna go out someone or just chat with them.
- When moving in, take cakes or sweets and leave them in your common room with a note such as "Hello, my name is **** and I live in room **, help yourself and don't be afraid to say hi!" - it works wonders.
- Join societies that you have interests in and meet people this way, at least you know you share a common interest and have a topic of conversation that'll lead elsewhere.
- Don't be afraid to approach people on your course, enquire how they found a lecture, if they wanna study with you and so on and so fourth!
There are loads of things you can do, just be yourself, smile and don't be afraid to say hi!
- 27-09-2016 12:00
All of the above ++ You could also look for a local, part time job (if your uni etc allow this) or volunteer either on campus or with a local charity.
You can also meet people and socialise at the union (events etc) or even at the gym/library