Leave in S5 or S6?

    • Thread Starter


    My name is Anna and I'm 17 (born in June 1999). I am currently taking 3 highers and 2 national 5s:

    - Higher Health and Food Technology
    - Higher Drama
    - Higher English

    - National 5 Mathematics
    - National 5 Hospitality

    I am interested in pursuing a career in the food/business in relation to consumers or hospitality (hotel management). I am wondering if I should leave at the end of S5 since i'll be 18 or leave at the end of S6 (19 nearly 20) due to me moving around many countries the school systems held me back a year.

    The S6 subjects, I believe will not help me in pursuing my career choice. I would be interested in pursuing a gap year and getting work experience/internship and then going to college. I don't know what to do.

    Any advice? Is graduating high school at 19/20 strange or should I try and leave at 18? Does anybody know any colleges/internships/universities in the UK that are good for any of the subjects I mentioned?


    Leave. What do you mean by food/business in relation to consumers. Do you mean retail? If you want to make a career in hospitality I recommend going straight into working then build yourself a career. Be prepared to move around though if you actually want your career to advance, that's both in location and even companies.

    If you are wanting to go into the food and drinks business on the wholesale and foodservice side then send us a msg.

    I'd leave if I were you, as there isn't really much point as I doubt many colleges etc., will be strict on requirements for that certain course in terms of Highers and stuff but I am not 100%. I recommend just gathering work experience and possibly going to do an internship and/or college. A gap year would also be really good I think as if you were to travel, I am sure many cafes and the sorts will be looking for just short-time staff. I'd do lots of research into a gap year and try find funding as they can be REALLY expensive and college. Good luck
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.