Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Electrolysis Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please show me how I'd go about answering this table, please? I already have the formula column done, but i'm just stuck on the equations for the negative and positive electrode. I think I know how to answer the product formed at each electrode.

Thanks in advance!!

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iHammmy)
    Can someone please show me how I'd go about answering this table, please? I already have the formula column done, but i'm just stuck on the equations for the negative and positive electrode. I think I know how to answer the product formed at each electrode.

Thanks in advance!!

These are all molten substances, so the elements are liberated at the electrodes. Positive ions go to the negative electrode and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    These are all molten substances, so the elements are liberated at the electrodes. Positive ions go to the negative electrode and vice versa.
    Thanks for the reply

What do you mean by the elements are liberated? can you possibly show an example?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iHammmy)
    Thanks for the reply

What do you mean by the elements are liberated? can you possibly show an example?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
    Copper ions have a 2+ charge and will migrate to the cathode (negative in electrolysis)

When they get there they can pick up 2 electrons per ion to become copper atoms (the element).

Cu2+ + 2e --> Cu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Copper ions have a 2+ charge and will migrate to the cathode (negative in electrolysis)

When they get there they can pick up 2 electrons per ion to become copper atoms (the element).

Cu2+ + 2e --> Cu
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i always get confused lmao :blushing:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.