How do i become a college teacher?????? pleaseeee help! Watch

forever_confused
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am in my final year at university, and i have now decided that i would like to go into teaching, but i don't want to teach in a primary or secondary school :/

i would like to teach in a college.
but i'm confused as to how i would become a college teacher... would i have to do a PGCE? -__-

Also, i want to do a masters in Philosophy/Politics or something related to Politics after I graduate.. but a lot of people are saying doing a Masters is just a waste of money....
so should I just go straight into teaching??

Any advice will be appreciated!
Thank you! x
S27
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You would do a PGCE or equivalent in FE. This is what I did. I did my degree, then a PGCE and am now teaching at a college while doing my masters.

I would never say a masters is a waste of money, but you don't need on to teach at college level.
Q and A
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
can I do my PGCE alongside with my degree
I want to become a college teacher in Business s or economics and would love to know how to become one step by step
I need to know how much would it cost if I did it after I finished my degree
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
S27
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Q and A)
can I do my PGCE alongside with my degree
I want to become a college teacher in Business s or economics and would love to know how to become one step by step
I need to know how much would it cost if I did it after I finished my degree
A PGCE is done after a degree. The course fee is £9,000 although bursaries are available. Have a look at the " get into teaching" website.
Q and A
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
can I do this PGCE like an apprentice
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Q and A)
can I do this PGCE like an apprentice
No. It is a course in its own right. You have a few days in uni whilst training to teach in a school. Once you have a PGCE you can apply for a college post. I would imagine that vacancies for the likes of Philosophy are rare and competition stiff.
cheesymeat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I am in the final year of my degree too, I have applied to a further education PGCE that means I will be at college 2 days and placement for 100 hours over a year- which isn't that much. You can do them at universities and colleges and on some courses you accrue masters credits which you may be able to transfer over to complete a master's later on. It depends if your pgce is at level 7 or not. You don't have to have a PGCE to teach at this level, if you can find a job to employ you as an unqualified teacher they may be able to pay you to train, however these are few and far between. Good luck in your search for the right route for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1583)
79.31%
Leave (413)
20.69%

Watched Threads