Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TV licence? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    "Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at uni unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains."
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/student-tv-licence

I'm not at university right now, but it seems like such a ridiculous thing. If they did come banging on someone's doors, if they somehow knew you were breaking this rule, couldn't they just disconnect their appliance (e.g., iPhone)?

The point is that this law seems really trivial. Best case scenario: you have a device with absolutely amazing battery life and you charge it overnight, then watch however many hours of whatever you want covered by your parents' TV license. That could work for a laptop/tablet...

I don't get it. Why bother with such a dumb law?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Dermatome)
    "Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at uni unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains."
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/student-tv-licence

I'm not at university right now, but it seems like such a ridiculous thing. If they did come banging on someone's doors, if they somehow knew you were breaking this rule, couldn't they just disconnect their appliance (e.g., iPhone)?

The point is that this law seems really trivial. Best case scenario: you have a device with absolutely amazing battery life and you charge it overnight, then watch however many hours of whatever you want covered by your parents' TV license. That could work for a laptop/tablet...

I don't get it. Why bother with such a dumb law?
    Because the time the licence were drafted mobile technoogy was less advanced.

It now only applies to live TV signals. Any use of iplayer and catch up requires a licence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.