Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

CND attacks Corbyn over Trident u-turn

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7330946.html

The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) has attacked long-time ally Jeremy Corbyn, accusing the Labour leader of quietly ditching his commitment to scrap Britain’s nuclear arsenal.

The campaign group seized on a surprise announcement that Labour was now making multilateral disarmament talks its priority – effectively accepting, it said, the renewal of Trident.
    I mean, surely it's progress of a sort that the party leadership finally adopts a sane policy (or rather, the leadership accepts that the party has a policy and that he's not the party dictator).

But the fact it took a year, a leadership challenge and endless guff and cant from Corbyn to finally get with the programme is completely underlines what an incompetent politician he is. It also shows that his vaunted "principles" that his supporters claim, that he never changes his mind (even though he regularly has; on austerity, on the EU, on shoot to kill, on drones), clearly are up for change when he perceives it in his personal interests to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn is little more than an over-promoted flibbertigibbet.

Labour Party policy is now effectively meaningless: we're at a stage where the party leader can hold and expound views that are contrary to party policy, where party policy can be treated with open contempt by the vast majority of the parliamentary party, where local Labour organisations can hold policies at variance with either, where the membership is essentially being held back from commenting on policy for fear they'll actually come to a conclusion, where policies are completely reversed with stunning regularity and where the party's staff have no idea what position they should promote.

He's turned the Labour Party into a debating club for the demented rather than a coherent political party. Quite how he thinks he'll manage to pull together a manifesto for the next general election, I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think abolishing trident is fairly reasonable.

What I don't think is reasonable is having trident and having in power someone who refuses to use it termite making it completely pointless. It's like me shelling out money on an expensive assault rifle and announcing in fscebook I don't know how to use it or/and it's just started for show.

Jon Ashworty who usually comes across as quite agreeable looked absolutely ridiculous trying to defend the above.

ReputationRep:
    It's about picking your fights appropriately and using political capital effectively.

The furthest that Labour should go is to decrease the amount of bombs or subs which make up the trident system and therefore reduce the cost.

Focus on the economy etc etc.

A much more rewarding venture one would assume...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saayagain)
    It's about picking your fights appropriately and using political capital effectively.
    But that's... dun dun dun... compromise! Any compromise to political reality makes you a Tory lite. That's what Momentum have been telling us for a year now.

So doesn't that make him and his supporters hypocrites? When the moderates make policies with the goal of putting forth a slate that will appeal to the electorate will permitting as much centre-left reform as possible, Momentum say they are filthy traitors who should go join the Tories.

When Corbyn and McDonnell do it, like on Trident and last year when they signed up to Osborne's austerity pact, somehow it is applauded by Momentum members as savvy and sensible. It's made worse by the fact that they claim to be laying this to be but John McDonnell made clear Corbyn will still personally oppose it... so what has changed?

It is laughable to go into an election with the leader of the party opposing his own party's policy. Corbyn is always blathering on about party democracy and how we have to accept the decision of the members, but when it's on something he doesn't like, such as Trident, he just ignores it.

ReputationRep:
    ITT: OP simultaneously attacks Corbyn for opposing Trident, not opposing Trident, compromising, and also not compromising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    TROTSKYITE!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

What I don't think is reasonable is having trident and having in power someone who refuses to use it termite making it completely pointless. It's like me shelling out money on an expensive assault rifle and announcing in fscebook I don't know how to use it or/and it's just started for show.

Jon Ashworty who usually comes across as quite agreeable looked absolutely ridiculous trying to defend the above.
    You should pretend you will use it. If only to appeal to a nuclear holocaust hungry electorate. Personally I'd rather have someone that when push comes to shove, wont press the button.

Standing against trident appears to be totally unalectable though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    ITT: OP simultaneously attacks Corbyn for opposing Trident, not opposing Trident, compromising, and also not compromising.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    You should pretend you will use it. If only to appeal to a nuclear holocaust hungry electorate. Personally I'd rather have someone that when push comes to shove, wont press the button.

Standing against trident appears to be totally unalectable though.
    I think that's the rub. I actually would use it, I just think I'd never have to therefore it would be pointless * and we could spend our money on better mikitary tech.

(I don't believe in MAD- governments do all sorts of crazy irrational things)

ReputationRep:
    Switzerland doesn't have nuclear weapons.

Switzerland doesn't have the EU.

The UK can live perfectly well without both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Switzerland doesn't have nuclear weapons.

Switzerland doesn't have the EU.

The UK can live perfectly well without both.
    Yeah why not.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter - he's never going to get anywhere near the big red button.

As long as the Tories can avoid getting caught up in infighting over Europe, offshore tax scandals and getting caught sleeping with prostitutes (which was their typical downfall in the 70's, 80's and 90's) they should be able to look forward to a decade or more of a decent Commons majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    But that's... dun dun dun... compromise! Any compromise to political reality makes you a Tory lite. That's what Momentum have been telling us for a year now.

So doesn't that make him and his supporters hypocrites? When the moderates make policies with the goal of putting forth a slate that will appeal to the electorate will permitting as much centre-left reform as possible, Momentum say they are filthy traitors who should go join the Tories.

When Corbyn and McDonnell do it, like on Trident and last year when they signed up to Osborne's austerity pact, somehow it is applauded by Momentum members as savvy and sensible. It's made worse by the fact that they claim to be laying this to be but John McDonnell made clear Corbyn will still personally oppose it... so what has changed?

It is laughable to go into an election with the leader of the party opposing his own party's policy. Corbyn is always blathering on about party democracy and how we have to accept the decision of the members, but when it's on something he doesn't like, such as Trident, he just ignores it.
    Clearly, you have some kind of vendetta against Corbyn and co.

Trident is a side issue.

The primary disagreement between the two wings is on economic policy.

Personally, I expect more from Corbyn and co in terms of strategy and the achievement of certain things. At the moment, they are getting battered left right and centre because they are not developing defensible policy.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.