Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE 'Top Five Marks in the Country' ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Numerous people have mentioned they achieved one of the top 5 marks in the country for GCSE subjects.

Im curious as to how this is worked out since most exams are out of realtivley low numbers of marks (100 at most). Surley more than one person achieves full marks in a year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffle)
    Numerous people have mentioned they achieved one of the top 5 marks in the country for GCSE subjects.

Im curious as to how this is worked out since most exams are out of realtivley low numbers of marks (100 at most). Surley more than one person achieves full marks in a year?
    I think it is then decided on how "good" that paper is answered. It does not surprise me if they then based on the top 5 marks on the quality/breadth of the answer to the paper. ie going further than GCSE type answers .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffle)

Yes, a girl in my class who can't even spell or write creatively got a top 5 in English Literature GCSE.

Seems much harder to get them in Science/Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I think it is then decided on how "good" that paper is answered. It does not surprise me if they then based on the top 5 marks on the quality/breadth of the answer to the paper. ie going further than GCSE type answers .
    So why were 32 awarded top 5's in English Lit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    So why were 32 awarded top 5's in English Lit?
    Maybe they were in AQA, for Edexcel et al they maybe different. This I know for sure, that 3 people in my year got the top 5 score for ICT at GCSE all at 100%. Yet they were placed at different places.

Also another fact is that I know someone who got 100% for art yet did not recieve the top 5 marks. Under your answer it should be said that he should be "joint" first at 100%.

this guy that is now at cambridge that used to live down my road got an award from AQA for having best a level results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Yes, a girl in my class who can't even spell or write creatively got a top 5 in English Literature GCSE.
    You do not need to be creative for GCSE Literature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    I know someone who got top Fives in Double Science, Maths and Stats. It's not as difficult as you think - but you more or less definitely need full raw marks.

It's not as hard as people think to write a good essay for English Literature. As a result, there are quite a few Top Fives - and this is also subjective, so the number of full marks increase. In Maths and Science, for the majority of cases, there is only one right answer.
    I completely agree, it was also noticeable that in my school more got A*'s in English Lit than any other subject, especially the Maths/Sciences.

that may have been due to the decent teaching we had in English Lit and the crap teaching for Science/Maths though.

Still, it's an impressive achievement and it shouldn't be degraded - If you're writing (or whichever subject) to that calibre then it's something to be happy about.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the top 5 students plus all the students which have the same score. For Maths I can see why 32 people would get 100%, 3 people from my school got a top 5 award, I imagine that's the situation of similar schools too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    You do not need to be creative for GCSE Literature
    I know, hence the Top 5 without being creative.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I know someone who only got a B in his coursework for Design Tech but aced the exam and got a top 5 certificate. But it was DT Systems and Control, and less people do DT options than compulsory subjects and even less choose Systems, so I don't think that competition would have been that fierce.

ReputationRep:
    That's because in Art you need 97% for an A*...
    A ridiculous amount of people get 100% in art.
    I'm sure our teacher said they're lowering it to something like 94%... No chance for me anyway because I struggled through Art GCSE thanks to me only working for the last 3 terms, and doing about 50% of the final submitted work in the 4 weeks before presentation day.

What did you get top 5 in?

ReputationRep:
    A Top Five mark doesn't take into account coursework. Someone I know got A/B/one A* in her English Literature coursework because she couldn't be arsed. However, she's amazing at the subject and got a top five in the exam.
    Yeah, I only got a B for the oral component of my GCSE English Language and got a top five mark.

ReputationRep:
    I got a top 5 in GCSE english lit AQA back in 2002, though don't ask me what it means!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    I got a top 5 in GCSE english lit AQA back in 2002, though don't ask me what it means!
    everyone seems to have a top 5 eng lit!! Do all exam boards do them because i've only heard of AQA giving them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    everyone seems to have a top 5 eng lit!! Do all exam boards do them because i've only heard of AQA giving them.
    I think OCR and Edexhell give them as well, yes.

ReputationRep:
    A Top Five mark doesn't take into account coursework. Someone I know got A/B/one A* in her English Literature coursework because she couldn't be arsed. However, she's amazing at the subject and got a top five in the exam.
    yeh, my friend got top five in statistics gcse when she took it a year early

ReputationRep:
    I got top 5 for GCSE English Lit, English Lang, and Psychology. Didn't really think about it much to be honest, it's a nice boost to have but doesn't mean too much But I'm going to be doing English at uni and have got 100% in 4 A-level modules so far, so I can't be too terrible at it!

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said that people tend to get a grade higher in English Lit than in English Lang, cos with English Lit you can 'revise' the novel and poems, so I dare say it can be easy if you know the book well as well as the talent to express your thoughts clearly and logically. Although I must say they have made adjustments to the rules of using the anthology now, I heard you can't annotate?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetymango)
    My teacher said that people tend to get a grade higher in English Lit than in English Lang
    I got an A* in language and a B in literature. I must be odd.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.