Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

what is the X-Axis in the form y=mx+c

ReputationRep:
    I've used the X-axis in a question as y=1x+0, and got the right answer but with the wrong sign? Please can someone tell me if I have made a mistake with this equation? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    The x axis is y=0.

y=x is the identity function represented by a diagonal line inclined at \frac{\pi}{4} radians or 45^{\circ} from the axes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazz_xox_)
    I've used the X-axis in a question as y=1x+0, and got the right answer but with the wrong sign? Please can someone tell me if I have made a mistake with this equation? Thank you
    At every single point on the x axis, y is equal to zero. So the equation for the x axis is y=0 not y=x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    At every single point on the x axis, y is equal to zero. So the equation for the x axis is y=0 not y=x.
    Thank you, I'm trying to use it in simultaneous equations with 4y=2x+23 but not sure how to cancel them by this method?

Edit: I think I've got it now by using y=0x+0, but my answer still has the wrong sign...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'm trying to use it in simultaneous equations with 4y=2x+23 but not sure how to cancel them by this method?

Edit: I think I've got it now by using y=0x+0, but my answer still has the wrong sign...
    If your simultaneous equations are 4y=2x+23 and y=0, substitute y=0 into the first equation to get 0=2x+23 which you should then be able to solve.

ReputationRep:
    If your simultaneous equations are 4y=2x+23 and y=0, substitute y=0 into the first equation to get 0=2x+23 which you should then be able to solve.
    Fab thank you! Do you know why I was getting the wrong sign by doing it with elimination? - I got my answer as 23/2 rather than -23/2

ReputationRep:
    Fab thank you! Do you know why I was getting the wrong sign by doing it with elimination? - I got my answer as 23/2 rather than -23/2
    Remember, you need to do the same thing to both sides of the equation. We want the x to be by itself so we subtract 23 from both sides to get 0-23 = 2x + 23 - 23 \longrightarrow 2x = -23 \longrightarrow  x = -\frac{23}{2}.

ReputationRep:
    Remember, you need to do the same thing to both sides of the equation. We want the x to be by itself so we subtract 23 from both sides to get 0-23 = 2x + 23 - 23 \longrightarrow 2x = -23 \longrightarrow  x = -\frac{23}{2}.
    Thank you very much .

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.