Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

University choices dilemma

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I'm currently stuck on the process of choosing the unis..
    Im predicted A in Physics, A in economics and A* in Maths and I also do 3 extra math modules, no AS subjects.
    For GCSEs I had 3 a*, 3a, 3 b and also a* in Russian (native language)

What are my chances to get into following unis?:
    UCL - economics with easteran european studies (AAA-AAB)
    Leeds - economics (AAA)
    Bristol - Economics and finance (AAA)
    Loughborough - Economics (AAB)

As for the last choice I'm deciding between Surrey economics (AAA) and Brimingham economics (AAA) - which one do you think is better? I would love to get into Uni with a great nightlife, lots of societies and things to do as well as good employment rates...

Any other University suggestions? It seems to me like I lack on insurance choices, though I need a uni with a good rating. Manchester?

Also is it ok to build my PS around Game theory as its the area of economics I enjoy the most..

Would really appreciate any feedback

ReputationRep:
    There's no point speculating on your chances of admission, I don't know, nobody here knows, we aren't admission tutors. You meet the entry requirements so you have a chance, that's the best anyone can say. If you enjoy game theory then I think you should look for economics degrees that offer modules in it. Not everywhere will. Have you checked to see if Surrey and Birmingham do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1mag1ne)
    xx

I've known UCL's SSEES to particularly want students that understand Eastern European languages, such as yourself. This doesn't mean you'll get in, but if you can read Russian to a good standard, it might help your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    There's no point speculating on your chances of admission, I don't know, nobody here knows, we aren't admission tutors. You meet the entry requirements so you have a chance, that's the best anyone can say. If you enjoy game theory then I think you should look for economics degrees that offer modules in it. Not everywhere will. Have you checked to see if Surrey and Birmingham do?

You're right, not every uni offers game theory as a part of their course and most unis have it but not very much, that's why I want to know if it puts me in disadvantage to right about it in PS

Thank you for reply👍🏼

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    I've known UCL's SSEES to particularly want students that understand Eastern European languages, such as yourself. This doesn't mean you'll get in, but if you can read Russian to a good standard, it might help your application.
    Should I then mention it as my native language then?.. or just saying "I know Russian" is enough?

ReputationRep:
    Should I then mention it as my native language then?.. or just saying "I know Russian" is enough?
    Could do either, although I'm sure the latter will suffice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    They prefer candidates who can demonstrate a genuine interest in the region, and they certainly encourage their students to learn Eastern European languages, but growing up speaking Russian/Polish/Romanian etc won't in itself increase your chances of admission.

It's worth mentioning, but do it in a smart way, show that you use your language skills to engage with the region/your chosen subject. Everyone will say they read the Financial Times, but is there a Russian-language business newspaper you can read instead?

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.