The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Surrey for chemical engineering?

Looking to apply for chemical engineering for 2017 entry.
Predicted grades: A*A*A
My current choices are:
Bath
Birmingham
Sheffield
Loughbrough

I like the look of both Nottingham and Surrey, but I'm not going to get a chance to see them. Any advice on which one I should pick, or any other universities? I'm quite interested in the biological side of chemical engineering which is why Bath, Sheffield and Surrey particularly appeal.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by munchkin1212
My current choices are:
Bath
Birmingham
Sheffield
Loughbrough

I like the look of both Nottingham and Surrey, but I'm not going to get a chance to see them. Any advice on which one I should pick, or any other universities? I'm quite interested in the biological side of chemical engineering which is why Bath, Sheffield and Surrey particularly appeal.

I'm very interested as to why you haven't applied to more reputable univerisites, you have great predicted grades so it seems quite odd that your not increasing your expectations a bit. Have you considered Cambridge, Manchester, Imperial or UCL?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by timster32
I'm very interested as to why you haven't applied to more reputable univerisites, you have great predicted grades so it seems quite odd that your not increasing your expectations a bit. Have you considered Cambridge, Manchester, Imperial or UCL?

I really don't fancy London, it's not somewhere that I want to go and if I got into Imperial and Bath, I think I'd pick Bath.

I haven't really looked at Manchester to be honest but it hasn't struck me as somewhere I really want to go.

As of a few weeks ago I was going to apply for Cambridge, but because I took my maths A-level early I'd really have to carry on with A2 chemistry and physics and AS and A2 further maths to have a competitive application (3 in one sitting and all that), and I'm not really feeling A2 physics and the work load. If I don't fancy the work load now, I don't think I could deal with Cambridge to be honest. It's all too intense to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just really not feeling the Imperial atmosphere or London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just really not feeling the Imperial atmosphere or London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get at AS?
Original post by richpanda
What did you get at AS?

A*AA in maths A2 and AS chemistry and physics respectively

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really don't fancy London, it's not somewhere that I want to go and if I got into Imperial and Bath, I think I'd pick Bath.

I haven't really looked at Manchester to be honest but it hasn't struck me as somewhere I really want to go.

As of a few weeks ago I was going to apply for Cambridge, but because I took my maths A-level early I'd really have to carry on with A2 chemistry and physics and AS and A2 further maths to have a competitive application (3 in one sitting and all that), and I'm not really feeling A2 physics and the work load. If I don't fancy the work load now, I don't think I could deal with Cambridge to be honest. It's all too intense to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you would probably need Physics at A2 to get into any uni as Chemical Engineering is more Physics based then Chemistry, personally I find Physics easier than Chemistry. I understand that you don't fancy London but you need to think of the job prospects, I would definitely switch Surrey, Nottingham or wherever with Imperial, Manchester or UCL because you firm and insure two unis so obviously if you get an offer from Bath then you would firm that but having Imperial, UCL or Manchester as a back up would mean that if somehow you don't meet your Bath offer (you wouldn't make Imperial then), you would have UCL or Manchester to choose from and the career prospects would be significantly higher from these two unis than from say Surrey, you don't have to go to three of the five unis so putting down choices in terms of location isn't always wise.
A*AA in maths A2 and AS chemistry and physics respectively

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case, I think your choices are perfectly fine. I think people forget that not that many unis offer chem eng, and when you take out cambridge, imperial and UCL, the other top unis for chem eng aren't perhaps what would be top unis for subjects offered at almost every uni.
Well you would probably need Physics at A2 to get into any uni as Chemical Engineering is more Physics based then Chemistry, personally I find Physics easier than Chemistry. I understand that you don't fancy London but you need to think of the job prospects, I would definitely switch Surrey, Nottingham or wherever with Imperial, Manchester or UCL because you firm and insure two unis so obviously if you get an offer from Bath then you would firm that but having Imperial, UCL or Manchester as a back up would mean that if somehow you don't meet your Bath offer (you wouldn't make Imperial then), you would have UCL or Manchester to choose from and the career prospects would be significantly higher from these two unis than from say Surrey, you don't have to go to three of the five unis so putting down choices in terms of location isn't always wise.

I know chemical engineering is physics based, but none of the entry requirements need it, so I'm sticking with chemistry and f maths.

I might look at Manchester, but I don't know what to do about Imperial to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by richpanda
In that case, I think your choices are perfectly fine. I think people forget that not that many unis offer chem eng, and when you take out cambridge, imperial and UCL, the other top unis for chem eng aren't perhaps what would be top unis for subjects offered at almost every uni.

I agree with you there, Birmingham is really good for chem eng but people seem to underrate it. What do you think about my stance on imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My current choices are:
Bath
Birmingham
Sheffield
Loughbrough

Congrats on getting those AS grades :biggrin:. Have you tried looking at their campus videos on youtube? Nottingham and surrey both have good campuses from what I have seen, I heard nottingham is getting a new chemical engineering building. Ask students from both unis what they think of the uni.
Original post by Raizelcadres
Congrats on getting those AS grades :biggrin:. Have you tried looking at their campus videos on youtube? Nottingham and surrey both have good campuses from what I have seen, I heard nottingham is getting a new chemical engineering building. Ask students from both unis what they think of the uni.

Thanks, that's helpful advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My current choices are:
Bath
Birmingham
Sheffield
Loughbrough

The only chemical engineer I know picked Surrey, but apart from Imperial their other choices were all weird Scottish ones. They also weren't focused on biology.
I agree with you there, Birmingham is really good for chem eng but people seem to underrate it. What do you think about my stance on imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally will be applying to Imperial, but that is purely down to its academic credentials. As a country boy, living in London doesn't particularly appeal to me, especially after having visited it. I found it very frantic and the air quality was noticeably poor, and obviously going from a place where 99% of the population is white and speaks English as their mother tongue to somewhere that is the other end of the spectrum is a massive shock
Original post by sweeneyrod
The only chemical engineer I know picked Surrey, but apart from Imperial their other choices were all weird Scottish ones. They also weren't focused on biology.

Ah okay. Do you know why they picked Surrey?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know chemical engineering is physics based, but none of the entry requirements need it, so I'm sticking with chemistry and f maths.

I might look at Manchester, but I don't know what to do about Imperial to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't like London then don't choose Imperial or UCL (remember you can always reject these uni's), I just think that I would rather have the choice of accepting/rejecting a world-class uni knowing that I had a place at a uni like Bath than to not have a place at Bath and having to accept Surrey, although I have heard very good things about Surrey. Manchester us very good for engineering though and they have an open day coming up if that helps?
If you don't like London then don't choose Imperial or UCL (remember you can always reject these uni's), I just think that I would rather have the choice of accepting/rejecting a world-class uni knowing that I had a place at a uni like Bath than to not have a place at Bath and having to accept Surrey, although I have heard very good things about Surrey. Manchester us very good for engineering though and they have an open day coming up if that helps?

Thank you, that's really helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay. Do you know why they picked Surrey?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. I assume its general reputation made them put it down in the first place, and they preferred it to the other unis they got offers from after visiting them, in terms of the accommodation etc.
Original post by sweeneyrod
Not really. I assume its general reputation made them put it down in the first place, and they preferred it to the other unis they got offers from after visiting them, in terms of the accommodation etc.

Ah okay, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest