Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Experiences of Cambridge / Addenbrooke's Hospital?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Has anyone here worked or spent their clinical years at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge? I've been offered a pre-registration pharmacist job at Addenbrooke's starting in July/August 2017 for a year, and I have a few questions about the hospital and Cambridge in general. My intention right now is to move back home to London after my pre-reg year.

1) I've had a look on Rightmove/Zoopla and the rents in Cambridge seem to be quite expensive! I'm currently paying £115 week + bills as a student for a double room in the private sector in Brighton. Have you stayed in hospital accommodation at all/long term and if so, do you know how much they charge and what it's like (sociable/like living in halls again as a fresher etc) / would you recommend living there for the year?

If you don't recommend living in hospital accommodation for a year, which areas of Cambridge would you otherwise recommend to live in (I think I'd rather live in a house share sort of thing than get my own flat, which would be super expensive).

2) Is the pharmacy team well-integrated within the MDT, do you have regular contact with the pharmacists there? Do pharmacists provide medical students/doctors/nurses with much teaching?

3) What's the eHospital system like - is it something that's fairly common amongst other hospitals or is it a new and shiny thing that's super useful?

I expect my hours to be around Mon-Fri 9.00-5.30 with the odd weekend shift on top and no nights / on calls. I will be at the bottom of band 5, so I expect my salary to be about £22k for the year.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Bump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    x
    You were Cambridge right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You were Cambridge right?
    I was, but I've, erm, been busy.

(Original post by thegodofgod)
    Hi all,

Has anyone here worked or spent their clinical years at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge? I've been offered a pre-registration pharmacist job at Addenbrooke's starting in July/August 2017 for a year, and I have a few questions about the hospital and Cambridge in general. My intention right now is to move back home to London after my pre-reg year.

1) I've had a look on Rightmove/Zoopla and the rents in Cambridge seem to be quite expensive! I'm currently paying £115 week + bills as a student for a double room in the private sector in Brighton. Have you stayed in hospital accommodation at all/long term and if so, do you know how much they charge and what it's like (sociable/like living in halls again as a fresher etc) / would you recommend living there for the year?

If you don't recommend living in hospital accommodation for a year, which areas of Cambridge would you otherwise recommend to live in (I think I'd rather live in a house share sort of thing than get my own flat, which would be super expensive).

2) Is the pharmacy team well-integrated within the MDT, do you have regular contact with the pharmacists there? Do pharmacists provide medical students/doctors/nurses with much teaching?

3) What's the eHospital system like - is it something that's fairly common amongst other hospitals or is it a new and shiny thing that's super useful?

I expect my hours to be around Mon-Fri 9.00-5.30 with the odd weekend shift on top and no nights / on calls. I will be at the bottom of band 5, so I expect my salary to be about £22k for the year.
    I was at Cambridge, but I graduated 7 years ago and have not actually worked there. I'll answer as best I can though!

1) When I was there, hospital accommodation was viewed as expensive and not very nice, but I believe some at least has been renovated since then. Not many of my colleagues/friends lived there, but most of us had the option of college accommodation. I think quite a few people move in to the hospital flats for a few months until they've found a suitable house-share, so that would be an option to buy a bit of time for you.

There aren't any really dodgy areas in Cambridge - maybe a couple of estates up round Arbury, but they're miles from the hospital anyway so you might not be interested. The area near the hospital is very nice but correspondingly expensive, same goes for the new developments around the station. I know quite a few people who lived on or near to Cherry Hinton Road and Mill Road, which I think are a bit more affordable.

2) We didn't have a huge amount to do with the pharmacists as students tbh, I imagine as a doctor it would vary hugely depending on department (I see them daily in most ICU jobs I've done, in other wards it tends to be communication by green pen post-it! We had a couple of teaching sessions from pharmacists but not loads.

3) I've not worked with that specific system, but e-prescribing is gradually rolling out across the country, with varying success. It is handy to be able to e.g. prescribe paracetamol/fluids without having to trek to each ward, and they're harder to lose than paper drug charts, but some of the programs I've used have been terribly clunky and poorly designed.

Good luck with the new job!

ReputationRep:
    Is that a newborn baby or a 6 month old you've stolen hard to tell.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Didn't realise you were so far along! Congrats!

ReputationRep:

I was at Cambridge, but I graduated 7 years ago and have not actually worked there. I'll answer as best I can though!

1) When I was there, hospital accommodation was viewed as expensive and not very nice, but I believe some at least has been renovated since then. Not many of my colleagues/friends lived there, but most of us had the option of college accommodation. I think quite a few people move in to the hospital flats for a few months until they've found a suitable house-share, so that would be an option to buy a bit of time for you.

There aren't any really dodgy areas in Cambridge - maybe a couple of estates up round Arbury, but they're miles from the hospital anyway so you might not be interested. The area near the hospital is very nice but correspondingly expensive, same goes for the new developments around the station. I know quite a few people who lived on or near to Cherry Hinton Road and Mill Road, which I think are a bit more affordable.

2) We didn't have a huge amount to do with the pharmacists as students tbh, I imagine as a doctor it would vary hugely depending on department (I see them daily in most ICU jobs I've done, in other wards it tends to be communication by green pen post-it! We had a couple of teaching sessions from pharmacists but not loads.

3) I've not worked with that specific system, but e-prescribing is gradually rolling out across the country, with varying success. It is handy to be able to e.g. prescribe paracetamol/fluids without having to trek to each ward, and they're harder to lose than paper drug charts, but some of the programs I've used have been terribly clunky and poorly designed.

Good luck with the new job!
    Thanks so much for this info - very much appreciated!

And super congrats! :excited:

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.