Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Trains and Ticket Prices

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I'm applying for Durham University, and I will be assessed with an Interview for my course if I progress through the application stages. It will cost £100 (approx) according to Trainline to get a ticket to Durham, can anyone suggest anyway of reducing this price (apart from a Railcard at the moment), I'll be able to afford it but it is still a lot of money.

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jack

ReputationRep:
    The Trainline has a booking fee, whereas many other companies (such as Virgin Train) don't. It also depends how far in advance you book and the time you of day you travel.

ReputationRep:
    Try split ticketing the journey

ReputationRep:
    Busses take longer but are usually cheaper. Also look at the traveling time, like off peak and on peak. I know for my travel it cost £50 on peak but only £23 off peak. You can also try and see if anyone is traveling that way by a car. Then they could possibly drop you off somewhere closer for a tenner and then you just pay for a train for the rest of the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackEDeakin)
    Hiya,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I'm applying for Durham University, and I will be assessed with an Interview for my course if I progress through the application stages. It will cost £100 (approx) according to Trainline to get a ticket to Durham, can anyone suggest anyway of reducing this price (apart from a Railcard at the moment), I'll be able to afford it but it is still a lot of money.

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jack
    Depends where you are coming from, East Coast from London, or Cross Country from Birmingham etc. They normally do fairly cheap advance tickets that you can reduce further with a 18-24 railcard.
    Coach will take far longer but is markedly cheaper and there is also a student coach card available too

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.