Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Should i take A Level Maths?

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda stuck about if I should do a level maths. I want to do physics as I'm really good at physics and i would really like to become an astrophysicist or astronautical engineer (or a career to do with foreign languages if it doesn't work out). I'm just absolutely fascinated about anything to do with space or space travel.

The only problem is that if I ever want to do a physics degree or engineering degree, I need to have done maths at A level. But I really hate maths, like I just really hate it. Although I've always been in top set at school and im predicted to achieve an A at Gcse but even so, I struggle to get maths and it's so boring, I can't imagine spending like 2 years doing loads of maths.

So this will obviously hold me back as much of physics is maths- especially at university so I don't know if I should just give it all up and pursue a career in languages or biology or something because I feel like my idea of a career in space will be nothing like reality, but at the same time, I'm struggling to give it up.

What should I do? Should I just do Maths, physics and French and hate the maths Although I would still be keeping my career open to physics (i don't even know if I'm nearly smart enough to do it at uni) or should I pick other subjects that I enjoy, eg French psychology and maybe biology (if I'm not doing maths, then I don't know if there would be any point doing physics)

ReputationRep:
    What don't you like about maths?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read all that, but go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomteenx)
    I'm kinda stuck about if I should do a level maths. I want to do physics as I'm really good at physics and i would really like to become an astrophysicist or astronautical engineer (or a career to do with foreign languages if it doesn't work out). I'm just absolutely fascinated about anything to do with space or space travel.

The only problem is that if I ever want to do a physics degree or engineering degree, I need to have done maths at A level. But I really hate maths, like I just really hate it. Although I've always been in top set at school and im predicted to achieve an A at Gcse but even so, I struggle to get maths and it's so boring, I can't imagine spending like 2 years doing loads of maths.

So this will obviously hold me back as much of physics is maths- especially at university so I don't know if I should just give it all up and pursue a career in languages or biology or something because I feel like my idea of a career in space will be nothing like reality, but at the same time, I'm struggling to give it up.

What should I do? Should I just do Maths, physics and French and hate the maths Although I would still be keeping my career open to physics (i don't even know if I'm nearly smart enough to do it at uni) or should I pick other subjects that I enjoy, eg French psychology and maybe biology (if I'm not doing maths, then I don't know if there would be any point doing physics)
    Evidently Maths is pretty much essential for engineering and many physics related degrees. But I don't think you're asking the right question here. The real question is will you still want to do a degree involving plenty of maths at the end of your A levels?

Don't do subjects in order to qualify for a degree. Do a degree that suits the subjects you enjoy. Maths is a very difficult A level to do if you don't enjoy it. In fact, it's much harder to do well in any A level if you're not enjoying it. Besides, why would you want to study a subject you don't enjoy?

Yes, Physics has a lot overlap with Maths (Mechanics) and they complement each other, but it's not essential to do both. 2 sciences would be just as good, perhaps better.

My advice would be to focus on doing the subjects you're going to enjoy studying for 2 years. If you're unsure as to related career prospects then do a little research beforehand into what sort of degrees you can do with those A levels.

ReputationRep:
    It's practically impossible to do Physics at uni without Maths (unless if you maybe take a foundation year or have amazing grades in the other subjects or apply to a lower end uni).
    It's important to do something you like too, so you will probably struggle.
    I think it depends on how much you want to do Physics at uni.

ReputationRep:
    physics is just a **** version of maths. do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welshstig)
    What don't you like about maths?
    I just never seem to get it, whenever I look down at a sheet I just see numbers and none of them make sense. I can do the maths when I'm told specifically the stuff I need to do like I can go trig if I'm told it's a trig question but if I'm not, a lot of the time I just get stuck and it's just so frustrating

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.