student loan company has been as absolute nightmare... help! :( Watch

notsoperfect
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i am just wondering if anybody has any idea how much my student loan will be delayed by. here is the story:

applied just after the 30th june deadline (maybe a week late) for a student loan for living and fees. it was partly my own fault for sending it in a bit late as my family didn't really start the application in time. however, i think it was more the fault of the SLC. basically, i live in southwark, which is doing a pilot scheme (along with a few other boroughs like hackney, and some other places) where you must apply online. the website is full of missing links and broken bits and very very buggy. my parents must have filled in the application literally 5 or 6 times before it actually went through - it kept timing out and logging them out. those were the reasons for the application being late, as well as half of the online forms not making any sense, and the SLC accusing my family of trying to fraud them for a short while - they thought my mum was a student for some reason, and wouldn't let her give information on her finance!

eventually, it was all sent off, and then we had to provide loads of supplementary information, such as my dad's accounts (for the income assessed part), my birth certificate etc. we sent these off weeks ago by recorded delivery, except the website has never changed to say they were recieved. then, yesterday, the SLC emailed me demanding my birthday certificate "URGENTLY" - i'd already sent it!

my mum has spent hours to them on the phone trying to sort things out and we have heard nothing back about how the process is going. i am so angry, i really feel like there should be some kind of news report on this (if it has happened to others in the pilot scheme - which is must have done?)

does anyone know when i'll get my loan and how long them will be delayed by? or, has anyone else had these problems and want to have a bit of a ***** about it? none of my friends have experienced the ****ness of the SLC website as they live in boroughs outside of the pilot scheme!

it is all very worrying and confusing.

thanks in advance...
Friendly_cow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yep they're crap, i sent my application off well before the deadline and they still havent sent me anything back

i've been in to see them, i've phoned them - they refuse to see students at all so i cant talk to them at all about what the hell is going on

so basically i'm gonna be very skint in september
**kaye**
Report 11 years ago
There were problems with my application too, and i got mine in about 2 weeks ago, but yesterday i got my confirmation letter, so i would say it depends on how busy your LEA is as to whether you get it on time. Good Luck
isnt_she_lovely
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm in southwark too and incredibly envious of my friends who could just pop down to their lea and get stuff photocopied.

i submitted my application on the 11th of June and it was approved yesterday. Which sounds lovely but all that was in between was a bit of a nightmare.

my passport sort of got lost, then got sent to another city, there were issues with my mums p60 and all sorts of things. i got random emails saying my NI number was missing, when it wasn't, saying my mum hadn't completed the form when she had. i even rang up one day to be told that i had the wrong number!

i think the best thing to do is persistence, the people on the phone by and large are rubbish but you do get the odd one who will help you out. i rang them at least twice a week and eventually got the email address of one of the consultant staff people, which helped. lots of miss understandings and a reasonably large phone bill of 08457 numbers later it sort of sorted its self out.

when i spoke to them a couple of times they mentioned the backlog was about 6-8 weeks. i think their left hand and right hand takes an age to work together!

there are ways of getting in contact with them, rather than that 08457 number its just a bit of a pain. i really wouldn't worry too much, although it is hard not too! however i think the unis are pretty used to the awfulness of it all in regards to tuition fee loans. you could also call your student union to see if your uni provides any extra support if you're in a bad financial situation which isn't your fault, sometimes they can help out until you get your loans etc.

i think it is awful that southwark lea don't bother with this themselves anymore, i think its lazy more than anything and really unsupportive. i didn't go to school in southwark (a worse borough) but my friends have had very little problems with all that. it seems more an issue of time and money, they cant be arsed to sort out higher education funding because lets face it their schools are crap and really what it says is that they don't hold out much hope for continuing students! so they would rather pass it on to a company that also don't really care!

*ends rant*

want to talk anymore or the other contact details do let me know.

i hope you get all sorted sooooon
notsoperfect
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by isnt_she_lovely)
I'm in southwark too and incredibly envious of my friends who could just pop down to their lea and get stuff photocopied.

i submitted my application on the 11th of June and it was approved yesterday. Which sounds lovely but all that was in between was a bit of a nightmare.

my passport sort of got lost, then got sent to another city, there were issues with my mums p60 and all sorts of things. i got random emails saying my NI number was missing, when it wasn't, saying my mum hadn't completed the form when she had. i even rang up one day to be told that i had the wrong number!

i think the best thing to do is persistence, the people on the phone by and large are rubbish but you do get the odd one who will help you out. i rang them at least twice a week and eventually got the email address of one of the consultant staff people, which helped. lots of miss understandings and a reasonably large phone bill of 08457 numbers later it sort of sorted its self out.

when i spoke to them a couple of times they mentioned the backlog was about 6-8 weeks. i think their left hand and right hand takes an age to work together!

there are ways of getting in contact with them, rather than that 08457 number its just a bit of a pain. i really wouldn't worry too much, although it is hard not too! however i think the unis are pretty used to the awfulness of it all in regards to tuition fee loans. you could also call your student union to see if your uni provides any extra support if you're in a bad financial situation which isn't your fault, sometimes they can help out until you get your loans etc.

i think it is awful that southwark lea don't bother with this themselves anymore, i think its lazy more than anything and really unsupportive. i didn't go to school in southwark (a worse borough) but my friends have had very little problems with all that. it seems more an issue of time and money, they cant be arsed to sort out higher education funding because lets face it their schools are crap and really what it says is that they don't hold out much hope for continuing students! so they would rather pass it on to a company that also don't really care!

*ends rant*

want to talk anymore or the other contact details do let me know.

i hope you get all sorted sooooon
hello! oh good, someone else who has been through this... well not good, but you know what i mean. i went to school in lewisham but i live in southwark so i had to apply through southwark and it's been such a nightmare, because i am applying for the assessed income bit. my only friend who lives in southwark is loaded and so didn't need to apply for that bit and she was all, "what are you on about" - but it's been such a nightmare!

any phone numbers which you think may help me, please do send to me. i'm working full time at the moment and so it's mostly my mum who has to phone them but they say to her they need to speak to me. but then you said that they won't speak to students! :confused:

my birth certificate seems to have gone missing too (i'm so glad i didn't sent my passport now...)

it's just ridiculous that you have to pay so much for the phone calls on the 0845 number too - they also demanded loads of my dad's accounts and as my dad is self employed and normally does his accounts in november, they deemed these out of date and he had to pay an accountant to do him new ones - i feel like we're shelling out loads of money to a really incompetent company just to GET money... it's a load of **** and i'm so worried about it all.

i feel like i have no idea when my loan will come through. they are so unhelpful, the website is akways breaking and logging me out, and nobody else understands seeing it's only flipping southwark and a few other places doing this. :mad:

any helpful phone numbers would be great
isnt_she_lovely
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hey

i didn't say they wont speak to students, if you can i would try to find a bit of time to maybe give them a call yourself. i spoke to them on my mums behalf also at one point. i think you may feel better if you can call just so you can get an idea of whats going on. the website to be fair although it takes a while to get updated it is the best way to see whats going on.

ring them up about your birth certificate most definitely, they really will try to get that back to you if you call a few times, and ask for them to be located. tell them you need them or something, just make sure the word urgent is used!

I'm not sure about all your dads accounts, i think its probably because he is self employed, i work for a small business from time to time myself and because people that are self employed don't come under the same tax codes or PAYE codes its harder from them to establish how much is actually earned. if you are concerned about the cost of the new accounts and other bits and pieces, you can make a complaint although i would wait until after you have it all through!!

we have got a month and a bit till uni is around the corner so try and remain a bit positive, they take an age to update the website and things like that. so its probably in a pile somewhere that just hasn't been put on to a computer. if you're really worried, call your uni too and let them know whats going on and see if they can offer any advice, surely that's better than getting there with nothing and everything to say.

this is the extra contact info i have for the place in darlington etc, that someone posted on here for me a while back...

Darlington Office

Student Loans Company Limited
DIUS Podium Building
Mowden Hall
Staindrop Road
Darlington
DL3 9BG

Headquarters
Student Loans Company Limited
100 Bothwell Street
Glasgow
G2 7JD
Tel: 0141 306 2000
Fax: 0141 306 2005

Just keep going, it will sort its self out! Remember they want you to absorb all the debt you can! :p:

Whats the status of your mum and dads, ART ID account?

Smidster
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm also currently extremely annoyed with the whole process.

Couple of days ago got an e-mail asking for supplementary evidence in support of the application. No problem at all with that if the information they wanted was reasonable and in any way relating to the application.

No, they wanted my mum's death certificate. Personally I fail to see the relevance.
Friendly_cow
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i rung the 0845 number the other day and they basically told me to f off. i then phoned my lea which kept me on hold for ages then cut me off saying they're having too many calls. i'm screwed lol
27pence
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I applied on the 14th April, and it stayed on the website as " Awaiting assessment". The SLC said that the application was on progress, but nothing happened for 3 months, at 3 months I found my LEA on the map, and travelled by car and spoke to someone face to face. He went away for about twenty minutes after I had given him my art id, he came back and said that my application file had been stored incorrectly. 3 days later i received a letter informing me that I had been approved and had to send off a signed declaration form, two days later I was fully approved.

Bear in mind that this is for my fourth and final year, it was the first time I applied online, and thankfullly the last. I can confirm that the people who cause most of the problems are the LEA, as they approve and assess applications, not the SLC (who act like a central database).
wo22a
Report 11 years ago
Ive not heard a thing yet at all....apart from today

after asking them what the hell is going off they told me that i have to contact my LEA right away because my application hasnt been progressed since APRIL!:mad:

i was weeks within the end of the deadlines for both income and non-income assessed, thinking itll all be sorted fairly quickly, i dont think i could be further from the truth.

ive got to send my student loan payment plan thingy off to my uni for accomodation by the 24th august so i hope it can be sorted off in time.
sopheeb
Report 11 years ago
I've heard nothing, after a load of fuss about extra documents, and I can't even log into the website! And now I think I've lost my ART ID, which is not helpful. Not as unhelpful as THEY are, though...:mad:
wo22a
Report 11 years ago
well, alls good here at last! (or at least i hope so)

rang up the LEA, they told me that it was my uni that had made the mistake and told me to ring them because the course that i applied for was not on the SLC database???

after ringing the student support centre at the uni, they said that it was there and they would contact our LEA to find out whats happening.

anyway, just got a phonecall back from uni, its all been sorted, the course was there after all that (only it had been put down as a 1 yr course) and they said i should be getting something in the post by early next week.

after puttin the phone down, i logged onto Studentsupportdirect and my application status has gone from "to be completed"- like its been for the last 4 months, to "assessed" within 5 minutes

i can relax a bit now, lets just hope i actually get something in the post, and i make the grades for my university tommorow after all of this!!!
john williams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I only applied 2 weeks ago which was months after the deadline and this morning iv already recieved my assessment and entitlement to loans which i was mega impressed with! I did the paper application.
Dolly78660
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by john williams)
I only applied 2 weeks ago which was months after the deadline and this morning iv already recieved my assessment and entitlement to loans which i was mega impressed with! I did the paper application.
Hi John,

what LEA dealt with yours?

Wow- that is fast!
Lady_Muck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That is just not fair. I didn't see this post, have just launched into an extremely incoherant tirade about mine.

How the hell am I going to live without it? I just hope I have an understand accommodation office.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.69%
No (717)
73.31%

Watched Threads