PPE at Oxford or HSPS at Cambridge? Importance of AS History grades?

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I got a B for AS History, quite a low one, and dropped it this year. All the other subjects are fine, predicted A* for all the three of them (Politics, Maths, Economics), but my average UMS is still around 88%. I've always wanted to apply for PPE, but my school teachers say that as it is very competitive, my chances of even getting an interview are low no matter how amazing my personal statement is or how well I pass TSA. They advice applying for HSPS as its acceptance rates are much higher than those of PPE at Oxford. However, as far as I am aware, Cambridge requires to disclose UMS scores while Oxford doesn't, and this then puts me into disadvantage due to my low average. Moreover, doesn't the fact that a course is names Human SOCIAL and Political Studies imply that the admission tutors would place an emphasis on the grades an applicant has obtained for a Humanities subject? (My teacher rebuts this argument with the reference to the fact that history is a "useful preparation" subject for PPE at Oxford as stated on their website which may diminish my chances at Oxford, while on Cambridge website there is nothing about subjects recommended for HSPS and thus no reason to worry)
    Generally, I am interested in international relations and politics, so being accepted to either of those courses would be great, but as I spent the whole last year dreaming about Oxford, I would prefer PPE if my chances of getting in were no less than for HSPS. If, however, I stand no chance of getting into Oxford, I would gladly apply to Cambridge as HSPS also seems fascinating.
    Regarding GCSE - I haven't done it because I am an international student, but I graduated from my country's high school with all the highest marks for all the subjects. Besides, I have done lots of reading/work experiences/volunteering and would be able to express my passion at the interview, so the main question is which university is more likely to invite me for it?
    Thank you very much in advance

ReputationRep:
    You really need to just compare the entry requirements with your profile and go from there. No one can predict how they will look at you because it'll depend on how strong your application is otherwise and the competition. If you meet the entry requirements go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss-pulet)
    So, I got a B for AS History, quite a low one, and dropped it this year. All the other subjects are fine, predicted A* for all the three of them (Politics, Maths, Economics), but my average UMS is still around 88%. I've always wanted to apply for PPE, but my school teachers say that as it is very competitive, my chances of even getting an interview are low no matter how amazing my personal statement is or how well I pass TSA. They advice applying for HSPS as its acceptance rates are much higher than those of PPE at Oxford. However, as far as I am aware, Cambridge requires to disclose UMS scores while Oxford doesn't, and this then puts me into disadvantage due to my low average. Moreover, doesn't the fact that a course is names Human SOCIAL and Political Studies imply that the admission tutors would place an emphasis on the grades an applicant has obtained for a Humanities subject? (My teacher rebuts this argument with the reference to the fact that history is a "useful preparation" subject for PPE at Oxford as stated on their website which may diminish my chances at Oxford, while on Cambridge website there is nothing about subjects recommended for HSPS and thus no reason to worry)
    Generally, I am interested in international relations and politics, so being accepted to either of those courses would be great, but as I spent the whole last year dreaming about Oxford, I would prefer PPE if my chances of getting in were no less than for HSPS. If, however, I stand no chance of getting into Oxford, I would gladly apply to Cambridge as HSPS also seems fascinating.
    Regarding GCSE - I haven't done it because I am an international student, but I graduated from my country's high school with all the highest marks for all the subjects. Besides, I have done lots of reading/work experiences/volunteering and would be able to express my passion at the interview, so the main question is which university is more likely to invite me for it?
    Thank you very much in advance
    Your UMS is lower for Cambridge. A B in A 4th A Level won't have a large effect. I'd say you've got a better chance for PPE ( Oxford like high predicted grades)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.