Turn on thread page Beta

Does the government have a duty to help Iraqis who have worked with British Forces to settle in the UK?

A group of 91 Iraqi interpreters in Basra have been told that they will not be given "special treatment" when applying for asylum in the UK. The government says it will treat each case on its merits.

The interpreters say their lives are in danger because they are seen as collaborators with the occupying forces. These claims have been backed up by many high ranking army officers.

Today, Prime Minister Gordon Brown has said the matter will be looked into again.

But what do you think the government should do? Do we have a duty to help the interpreters and their families? Or are the immigration rules there to be followed? Send us your comments

ReputationRep:
    Of course we have a duty to help them and anyone else in that godforsaken ****hole who's had to work for British forces at their own risk!

They've contributed to Britain's interests already far more than most potential immigrants.

Not only have we used their services, doing so has put them and their families at genuine risk - they should be transported to the UK on crab air and given asylum or immigrant status as soon as they want it (within reason).

ReputationRep:
    Renal, you missed out the best two verses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Of course we have a duty to help them and anyone else in that godforsaken ****hole who's had to work for British forces at their own risk!

They've contributed to Britain's interests already far more than most potential immigrants.

Not only have we used their services, doing so has put them and their families at genuine risk - they should be transported to the UK on crab air and given asylum or immigrant status as soon as they want it (within reason).
    I agree, they've certainly contributed more to this country that other immigrants who have already been granted asylum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    Renal, you missed out the best two verses.
    Yer, but unless I wanted to take up the entire page, summit had to go.

ReputationRep:
    Last I heard the government were reconsidering this policy, particularly when it was pointed out the US were granting their interpreters asylum.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, absolutely. Send them to the US if the UK won't take them...which seems to be the main theme at the official BBC HYS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    Yes, absolutely. Send them to the US if the UK won't take them...which seems to be the main theme at the official BBC HYS.
    No the government are considering giving them a smoother ride to asylum after it was pointed out the US do. The BBC have nothing to do with that, they just report what is happening, nm :rolleyes:

Yes the BBC are evil, ok we get that, reporting facts is evil. Cmon djchak, I'm sure you are just looking for excuses to blame the BBC, but they have no control over immigration policy.

Talk about totally misrepresenting the intent :rolleyes: I suggest you look carefully at the way that is worded, you will clearly see that it is not exactly neutral. Read it carefully, yes they do not approve of the government, they generally don't. But public pressure changes government decisions, see?

Does the government have a duty? That is a loaded question; in fact the intent is clear, the government is being unfairly discriminatory - "These claims have been backed up by many high ranking army officers." - and they produce reasons why.

ReputationRep:
    Um...it would seem fairly clear that the comments, in order of rating, signify that
    most do NOT want iraqi's who "helped in the war" given asylum...

If you think i'm trying to paint the BBC as "evil", then you've lost the plot mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidhe)
    No the government are considering giving them a smoother ride to asylum after it was pointed out the US do. The BBC have nothing to do with that, they just report what is happening, nm :rolleyes:

Yes the BBC are evil, ok we get that, reporting facts is evil. Cmon djchak, I'm sure you are just looking for excuses to blame the BBC, but they have no control over immigration policy.

Talk about totally misrepresenting the intent :rolleyes: I suggest you look carefully at the way that is worded, you will clearly see that it is not exactly neutral. Read it carefully, yes they do not approve of the government, they generally don't. But public pressure changes government decisions, see?

Does the government have a duty? That is a loaded question; in fact the intent is clear, the government is being unfairly discriminatory - "These claims have been backed up by many high ranking army officers." - and they produce reasons why.
    What? He said the official BBC HYS - as in, their version of this; Where users post their opinions on topics - indeed, the exact same topics. I don't think he's "blaming" anyone for anything, but were he, it'd be levelled at the users and not the BBC themselves.

ReputationRep:
    From what I have read, the problem we have is that the US and UK and allied forces didn't actually think out an 'exit strategy' after we 'liberated' Iraq.

Basically, we should now be in a situation where we can hand over the reigns of government to the Iraqi...but this is impossible because there are so many factions fighting each other and the deep seats (and flipping complex) relationship between the Shia and Sunni Muslims make it impossible for...for...

...actually, the way it was explained to me is "Remember the troubles in Northern Ireland in the 70s? Well multiply it by 1,000 and you're somewhere near how complex the politics in the region is".

It's not good and I don't think there's anyone clever enough to work out a long-term peace strategy.

Just my opinion...of course.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong thread mate.

(Not that I disagree, but lets not bring that up here)

ReputationRep:
    Well whatever easy mistake to make when he complains about the BBC being anti everything he loves alot.

ReputationRep:
    We are possibly taking in 5 british residents from guantanamo bay yet people who have helped us can get stuffed.

The same sentiment applies to the treatment of the ghurkas that helped us in the war.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/G668

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2007
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.