The Student Room Group

Blacklisted subjects

Hi, I have been reading a lot about blacklisted subjects. The problem is I am only interested in taking mainly the blacklisted subjects. Do the blacklists only apply to the top uni's or do all uni's across the country have the same blacklist. Here are the choices that I am willing to take at AS level. Would anyone suggest the best combination I could take?

ICT
Photography
History
Business Studies
Philosophy
Media Studies
Government and Politics
Religious Studies

Scroll to see replies

history, Goverment and Politics, Philosophy and maybe something like Business Studies depens on what you want to at uni and where
Reply 2
what do u want to study at uni? of the subjects u mentioned I would say history as this is definitely not a blacklisted subject and is very well respected. Government and Politics and philosophy could also be a good combination but it all really depends on what you want to do. If certain 'blacklisted subjects' are the ones you enjoy most don't be put off - do what you enjoy doing.
Only Cambridge and LSE have defined blackilists. Trinity College, Cambridge even has a grading for A-level suitability.

History, Philosophy, Government & Politics and Religious Studies are all pretty traditional and respected; they're not on the blacklist(s).
Not all uni's have black listed subjects. It would be worth deciding at wat uni's u might be applying to in a years time (obviously don't pick ur six but have an idea). Then check a few of there websites as if ur an undergraduate and find out if they do black list and wat subjects u need to study ur course.
Reply 5
What subjects are blacklisted then?
Here's Trinity College's list of suitable subjects...

Generally Suitable Science A-levels

Generally Suitable Arts A-levels

Limited Suitability

Unsuitable A-levels

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Reply 7
Reply 8
Mustard-man
Here's Trinity College's list of suitable subjects...

Generally Suitable Science A-levels

Generally Suitable Arts A-levels

Limited Suitability

Unsuitable A-levels

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Well I did one unsuitable and two limited suitability, and one suitable (though it was suitable for sciences list and I applied for arts!) and still got an offer, so dont read too much into it!
Reply 9
English Language is classed in limited suitability..? That seems wrong to me.
Well, going from those lists from Cambrisge (which I'd seen before, but hey), and from what I've heard about subjects going together, I'd say do RS, Philosophy, History and Politics. All 4 of the others are on the Cambridge blacklist (although it says there that Business is "limited suitability" like Politics, it's on the general university backlist.).
Reply 11
ICT is fine for anywhere except Cambridge. But frankly the syllabus and course structure are awful (although apparently they're being fixed, so it may be ok for your year). Oxford officially accept it as a third subject, and I got an interview, but it probably doesn't work in your favour.
Do you think me doing English Language would go against me at all if applying for Oxbridge (esp. Cambridge)?
Reply 14
city_chic
Do you think me doing English Language would go against me at all if applying for Oxbridge (esp. Cambridge)?

Top unis prefer English Literature, that's why English Language is blacklisted.

As far as cambridge is considered, if you want to study English, you must do English Lit. Otherwise, as long as it's mixed with the recommended jazz like history, geography, foreign lanuage, science etc, it's fine, but english lit would be preferable.
^ Okay, thanks.
paul1989

ICT
Photography
History
Business Studies
Philosophy
Media Studies
Government and Politics
Religious Studies

I've bolded the subjects that would probably give you most trouble. That said I know someone who did 4 A-levels which included Media Studies and Photography. He recieved an offer for English at King's College and got an interview at Oxford, so nothing is too set in stone.
what so even unis like sunderland have business studies blacklisted

and where have yous found this information ??
Reply 18
I hate these 'black lists' for subjects. I studied Economics, Law, History, English Literature and Govt and Politics and out of all of them I have found Law to be the most difficult to get an A in by far.

Back to the OP's question I would say study:
History
Philosophy
Govt & Politics
RS

for AS Level and then drop one of RS or G&P for A2 if you wanted to. Good Luck!
+ by blacklisted does this mean that its a poor subject ?

Latest