Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go to university, preferably university of Southampton. This sounds so stupid but I went there for an open day and fell in love with it so badly, I've never been so happy in my life.

However, I've only achieved a BBC partly due to being in a controlling relationship for a year. This is my last year to retake my exams and boost my grades to ABB. Should I retake them or just not bother going to university? But then what would I do? I don't want to be stuck in a dead end job.

The reasons why I'm not feeling motivated is because now I have to study on my own rather than in a college institution. Additionally, all my friends either are starting university now or started last year.

So technically, they'll be 2 years ahead of me.

Plus, I'll be starting freshers in September 2017, whilst they'll be on their third year. Is 20 years old too old to enjoy freshers? I'll be 20 in February 2017.

How will I achieve ABB if I am supposed to study at home everyday? I need a college library to study in but I'm not allowed.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent textbook for WJEC sociology AS & A2 level? Just in case I choose to resit my exams this year.

I'm heartbroken because when I go on social media, everyone is having fun at university whilst I'm stuck at A Level study for another year. Should I even bother applying for university this year? Or should I just wait until clearing?

I really want to study biomedical science or neuroscience. To be honest, I feel like a failure not only to myself, but all my family and friends who had faith in me. I can't put into words how distraught I am to not be accepted into my favourite university.

My life plan has been completely messed up.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not. Get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    And these university adverts on TSR aren't helping my pain either.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even going to answer that.
    How can a potential university student at a decent university feel that earning a degree two years later than the norm is too old?

Honestly, get a ****ing grip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jassyy)
    I really want to go to university, preferably university of Southampton. This sounds so stupid but I went there for an open day and fell in love with it so badly, I've never been so happy in my life.

However, I've only achieved a BBC partly due to being in a controlling relationship for a year. This is my last year to retake my exams and boost my grades to ABB. Should I retake them or just not bother going to university? But then what would I do? I don't want to be stuck in a dead end job.

The reasons why I'm not feeling motivated is because now I have to study on my own rather than in a college institution. Additionally, all my friends either are starting university now or started last year.

So technically, they'll be 2 years ahead of me.

Plus, I'll be starting freshers in September 2017, whilst they'll be on their third year. Is 20 years old too old to enjoy freshers? I'll be 20 in February 2017.

How will I achieve ABB if I am supposed to study at home everyday? I need a college library to study in but I'm not allowed.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent textbook for WJEC sociology AS & A2 level? Just in case I choose to resit my exams this year.

I'm heartbroken because when I go on social media, everyone is having fun at university whilst I'm stuck at A Level study for another year. Should I even bother applying for university this year? Or should I just wait until clearing?

I really want to study biomedical science or neuroscience. To be honest, I feel like a failure not only to myself, but all my family and friends who had faith in me. I can't put into words how distraught I am to not be accepted into my favourite university.

My life plan has been completely messed up.
    The common age for teens is 18 to start university. So what if your 20? A lot of people much older than you start university so don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I know of two people who went to university later than usual. One is a woman who went in her forties after doing an Adult Access course and the other is a man who left school with no qualifications at all, and was brought up in an orphanage in Dublin. He did an Access Course, then went to uni, got a first, then did a Masters and is now a lecturer at college. I DO think sometimes going later can be a positive thing. It shows you really want it and are committed to it ,after doing something else for a few years, rather than going along with it because its what your friends are doing. [Says she, who REALLY wants her son to go to Uni next year when he will be 20,even though he's lukewarm about the idea !!!]

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go to university, preferably university of Southampton. This sounds so stupid but I went there for an open day and fell in love with it so badly....
    I would say go for it. I had a messed up life and did not focus on my education early on. I started uni when I was 23 years old. I now have a degree (which you will keep for life) and a well paid job. It's never too late!

There were a lot of mature students at my uni who were at least 40 years old. Most of my friends were all straight from school so were a lot younger than me, and I also had older friends too, but no one sees this age gap. You're still young at 20, uni isn't all about learning, there's also a life education you learn there and also independence.

Wipe the slate clean, you'll make new friends, everyone was friendly in my experience, and in regards to the library to study, we had a massive library and it was open till late, so you have that available to you. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (this is a long post - sorry about that in advance)

The simple answer to your question is no. It most certainly is not too late for you to start uni (and enjoy being a fresher).

I think the problem is that you're so busy comparing yourself to what everyone else is doing, that you've become distracted and stopped focusing on yourself, where you want to be and working toward achieving your own goals. Everyone has different goals that take different lengths of time to achieve.

Take me for example. I started uni at 19, finished a 3 year degree, decided it simply wasn't good enough and that I wanted to aim higher, so I decided to start another undergraduate degree, at the grand old age of 22 (which in the grand scheme of things, isn't even old at all) at a different uni.

So in reply to your OP, yes definitely retake those A levels and apply to uni. You'll get the full student loan which is a real blessing that a lot of people (including myself) tend to take for granted. It's such an amazing opportunity and unless you had a legitimate reason, it would be a waste not to go to uni.

And don't wait for clearing, leave that as a backup in case your actual uni application falls through.

I'm terms of studying on your own. You'll have to do a lot of that at uni anyway, so getting into a food study routine will benefit you a lot. But if you don't want to study on your own, you just need to find someone to guide you and help you plan what you're going to do. It could be a parent or a friend - anyone who can help give your studies some structure and help you hold yourself to account (and make sure that you actually study).

Have you tried to see if public libraries have the resources that you need? Usually you can request books and if they don't have them, they can bring them in from another library that does have them. So you might not need a college library after all.

You can still definitely hit that ABB target. You just have to do as many past papers as you can get your hands on. Exams are literally a case of applying what you've learnt and the best way to revise for them is to do as many questions that test your knowledge, as you can. The more you do, the more your brain will remember the information, and that's how you get that ABB

You're definitely not a failure and trust me, your life plan might only have been slowed down by a couple of years, but it most certainly hasnt been messed up. You just have to stick it out for one more year and then you'll see that everything will fall into place.

One last piece of advice I want to give you is not to set your heart on one particular university. Fact of the matter is that there will always be competition for places and there will always be the chance that you don't get accepted into the one that you want. That's what happened to me. But you'll find that wherever you end up, as long as the university is decent in terms of teaching and student life, you'll have a great experience no matter where you go.

Good luck and stay positive

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go to university, preferably university of Southampton. This sounds so stupid but I went there for an open day and fell in love with it so badly, I've never been so happy in my life...
    In regards to having a library to study you don't have to go to your college library, study in your local public library, it's quiet and will help you study better than at home where there's distractions.

You need a fire in your belly to motivate you, my fire that kept me going was that if I don't study I will end up doing the dead end jobs I did during summer for life! Focus on the hunger, the success, the motivation. Don't compare yourself to others focus on the present and do not let the past hold you back, and do not worry about the future! Focus on now, that is where your happiness is.

ReputationRep:
    One of my fellow students decided she needed a change. So she quit her job as a secretary, left her husband and started a degree in chemical engineering. She was 49.

So 20 is certainly not too old.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 21 when I start, as I have an August birthday.

I know lots of people who will be 19/20 when they start as they've taken a year out.
    It's not unusual, nor is it that uncommon really!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.