Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any way to get student loan in UK if you don't have UK residence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I never lived in UK but I am a EU student in Portugal. I read that you need to live in UK for 3 years if you want a student loan. I'm on Year 13 so now it is too late to live there.
    Is there any way if I can get a loan from somewhere and study in UK, or is my academic career basically over for the next 3 years?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Student Financial Support

As an EU student, you're entitled to the tuition fee loan only. You have to live in the UK for at least 5 years for reasons other than education to get the maintenance loan.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by shneebnee)
    I never lived in UK but I am a EU student in Portugal. I read that you need to live in UK for 3 years if you want a student loan. I'm on Year 13 so now it is too late to live there.
    Is there any way if I can get a loan from somewhere and study in UK, or is my academic career basically over for the next 3 years?
    If youve lived in the EU for 3 years, then you can get a loan for tuition fees, but not mainteance.

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/eu/e...ide_1617_d.pdf

ReputationRep:
    If you lived in Europe but not UK then you still get the tuition loan. However you need to have lived in UK for 5 years now to get the maintenance loan. So you would get a loan to pay for university but would need to find money for living yourself

ReputationRep:
    If you came to the UK to work, apply for uni after that, and continue to work throughout your degree, you can get a Maintenance Loan as a Migrant Worker. You would have to provide proof of your employment to Student Finance each term.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.