Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have very recently started my undergrad at Sheffield , but the course and accommodation have fallen way short of my expectations. I started my actual course on 26/9/16. The stt finance company haven't paid my uni yet, and I haven't paid my accommodation yet - the question is : can I drop out now without incurring the £9000 course fees and accommodation costs ??

ReputationRep:
    While I don't know the answer to your question, I will say you've only been there for a few days (at most), and your course only started yesterday - it's frankly laughable to say 'the course and accommodation have fallen way short of your expectations'. Presumably you read the prospectus, googled the place, and maybe visited or attended an open day?
    • Very Important Poster

You need to talk to fees immediately. Its normally first 14 days. You need to fill out the form plus notify fees and your department. Less than one day seems very fast.... If you are in time then no fees and if not its usually 25% for the first term. Also notify SFE.

Accommodation then you need to read your agreement. There will normally be an admin fee
    From what I can see its £50 admin fee plus however long it takes you to find a replacement. Yntil you find one then you are liable for the whole contract. As its early days, then accommodation may have people on the waiting list.

You would have had the opprtunity to visit your accomm plus there are plenty of private halls and student shares about for all levels, so it would seem a bit premature to quit within 24 hours based on accomm.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisCrud)
    Hi, I have very recently started my undergrad at Sheffield , but the course and accommodation have fallen way short of my expectations. I started my actual course on 26/9/16. The stt finance company haven't paid my uni yet, and I haven't paid my accommodation yet - the question is : can I drop out now without incurring the £9000 course fees and accommodation costs ??
    Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your time so far. We would recommend speaking to Student Support Services on 0114 225 5555. They will be able to advise you on your different options. It will take a couple of weeks for your course to really kick in and for you to get a real feel for what you will be learning during your first year so we would suggest sticking this out. Or, speak to your course tutor as soon as you can and explain your feelings to them. They may be able to clear some things up for you.

In terms of your accommodation, it is possible to change accommodation if you're not happy with your current location. I did this in my first year and managed to move into a much nicer place after a couple of weeks. There are other options available so you don't have to drop out of the course.

Do speak to Student Support Services to find out the facts, but then take some time to think about what you really want.

We hope that helps. Do ask us any questions you may have

Thanks,
    Laura & Hannah
    (Official Hallam reps)
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Sheffield Hallam University)
    Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your time so far. We would recommend speaking to Student Support Services on 0114 225 5555. They will be able to advise you on your different options. It will take a couple of weeks for your course to really kick in and for you to get a real feel for what you will be learning during your first year so we would suggest sticking this out. Or, speak to your course tutor as soon as you can and explain your feelings to them. They may be able to clear some things up for you.

In terms of your accommodation, it is possible to change accommodation if you're not happy with your current location. I did this in my first year and managed to move into a much nicer place after a couple of weeks. There are other options available so you don't have to drop out of the course.

Do speak to Student Support Services to find out the facts, but then take some time to think about what you really want.

We hope that helps. Do ask us any questions you may have

Thanks,
    Laura & Hannah
    (Official Hallam reps)
    If he takes too long then he will become liable for fees for the Autum term and that will cost him approx £2,250. I find it surprising you cna decide in less than 24hours to quit the course, when its hardly started.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.