Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Medical uni- which should i choose?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im a student form Poland, and as an international its difficult for me to go to open days. I apply for medicine. I thought about Kings, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Nottingham, Birmingham and Bristol. I can only choose 4, and because i cant go see them, i thought that maybe you can help me with deciding. ( I have got 700 in UKCAT on average). THX for help

ReputationRep:
    I think you should take a look at how those unis pick applicants and choose the ones that focus on the things that are the strongest parts of your application. (there is a pretty good, although slightly outdated, comparison table here on TSR: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths)

Your UKCAT is good, but if you have a band 2 or lower or don't have really good grades and PS, I'd maybe avoid Edinburgh. They use this scoring system and you need 37-38 points out of 40 to get an offer, and having a UKCAT of 700 would most likely already cost you 1 point. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thx for the reply i have band 2, as far as grades i pass polish exam, but i have predicted 90%, 90%, 90% from biology, chemistry and extended english and most uni want biology, chemistry and an additional extended one. Its hard to judge PS, but I feel like i have lots of experience... eg. volunteering and medical conferences.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see. Since you have band 2 you'd already drop to 37 points at Edinburgh, so I'd say avoid it. Out of those options I'd maybe go for King's, Aberdeen, Nottingham and Birmingham. Bristol places a ridiculous amount of weight on the PS when they select for interview (70% or something like that), and as you said it's really hard to judge yourself how your PS will score. Applying there would imo be unnecessarily risky since you can afford to apply to places that care more about the UKCAT instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    Ah I see. Since you have band 2 you'd already drop to 37 points at Edinburgh, so I'd say avoid it. Out of those options I'd maybe go for King's, Aberdeen, Nottingham and Birmingham. Bristol places a ridiculous amount of weight on the PS when they select for interview (70% or something like that), and as you said it's really hard to judge yourself how your PS will score. Applying there would imo be unnecessarily risky since you can afford to apply to places that care more about the UKCAT instead.
    thx a lot
    And despite those i have chosen... which other unis would be worth considering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.machalica)
    thx a lot
    And despite those i have chosen... which other unis would be worth considering?
    What are your sub-test scores for the ukcat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    What are your sub-test scores for the ukcat?
    Hi, i believe you also replied me on the Edinburgh group ;p i have 610,670,820 and band 2

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.