16 and still not doing anything post-16 (i.e. Apprenticeship, studying etc.)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got 10 GCSEs; 2As, 6Bs and 2Cs. I am still waiting on getting a retail job (don't call me dumb, I'm funding a couple of A-levels that I will study for at home; I need online tuition). Hopefully, I'll be doing Maths and Business. In terms of UCAS points, I should be doing a third in 2018 (due to the high prices). If I don't get a job soon, my dad will subsidise me and I'll pay him back once the money is available.

My mum wants me to do an apprenticeship and my dad doesn't mind. Which is better? I feel as if I'm more capable of doing a couple of A-levels. Don't ask about why I didn't go to Sixth Form (I'm sick of going to school).

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FIFA 17)
    I got 10 GCSEs; 2As, 6Bs and 2Cs. I am still waiting on getting a retail job (don't call me dumb, I'm funding a couple of A-levels that I will study for at home; I need online tuition). Hopefully, I'll be doing Maths and Business. In terms of UCAS points, I should be doing a third in 2018 (due to the high prices). If I don't get a job soon, my dad will subsidise me and I'll pay him back once the money is available.

My mum wants me to do an apprenticeship and my dad doesn't mind. Which is better? I feel as if I'm more capable of doing a couple of A-levels. Don't ask about why I didn't go to Sixth Form (I'm sick of going to school).

Thank you in advance.
    Homestudy however many A-Levels you want then try for a job. It will be easier after gaining A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxidation)
    Homestudy however many A-Levels you want then try for a job. It will be easier after gaining A-Levels.
    Apprenticeship is the completely wrong option then, right? I'm good at Maths and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    If your good at maths, why not self teach maths and further maths at home? They are fairly easy to self teach and can be done cheaply using websites/old textbooks.

What do you actually want to do tho in terms of a career/job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    If your good at maths, why not self teach maths and further maths at home? They are fairly easy to self teach and can be done cheaply using websites/old textbooks.

What do you actually want to do tho in terms of a career/job?
    I'm not entirely sure but I'd like to go down the business route.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, and going to college is definitely not an option?

ReputationRep:
    Apprenticeship is the completely wrong option then, right? I'm good at Maths and stuff like that.
    If you want a maths related job, do your A-Levels then work or maybe go to university.

ReputationRep:
    Apprenticeship in business could be pretty good, bring in some money and earn a qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No apprenticeships could be a very good option. You need to look into the level of apprenticeship though. Higher apprenticeships will require the equivalent of A-level qualifications. You will be eligible for an advanced apprenticeship programme though (equivalent to two A-levels).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    An apprenticeship would be perfect for you. In the meantime though, you need to give your CV a boost - off to a charity shop with you.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have to be an either/or decision. You can study for A levels now, then get an A level-stage apprenticeship after you finish. I think they're really worthwhile to do, but getting your A levels now while you can might help you out a lot in the future e.g. if you're looking for a job change, and your competitors have the edge because they did maths A level or something. So that's what I'd recommend, and you can use some of your time now to do more research on apprenticeships and what other things you can do to secure one in 1-2 years time.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.