Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The "brain attic". Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm busy reading through "a Study in Scarlet" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - a classic.

Anyway, Sherlock Holmes speaks of his "brain attic" and how he prefers to fill it with information useful to him. He expresses that knowing too much just crowds his thoughts and impairs him. Makes perfect sense to me.

It's got me wondering, why do we even bother learning things of no relevance to our imagined careers?

When we go through school we are over-burdened with nonsense instead of being fed helpful knowledge we'll use in the future.

Thoughts?
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    I'm busy reading through "a Study in Scarlet" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - a classic.

Anyway, Sherlock Holmes speaks of his "brain attic" and how he prefers to fill it with information useful to him. He expresses that knowing too much just crowds his thoughts and impairs him. Makes perfect sense to me.

It's got me wondering, why do we even bother learning things of no relevance to our imagined careers?

When we go through school we are over-burdened with nonsense instead of being fed helpful knowledge we'll use in the future.

Thoughts?
    Seeing as my imagined career is the person who knows it all, gimme the knowledge!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly because you're a bit buggered if your imagined career doesn't happen in reality.

Secondlt because there is far more to life than your career. Most people gather knowledge because they are curious, not in the service of some career goal.

ReputationRep:
    Only gaining knowledge which goes towards your career is truly a sad thing.

ReputationRep:
    People change career goals all the time why should they limit themselves to one mindset when they might change their minds

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because you have to know about the universe before you know what you want to do in it. Your school education is exploration, not progress towards some career goal.

It's also not really true that knowing too much crowds out other information (although it can slow down searches). The capacity of long-term memory will not be filled in a lifetime.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    Makes practically no sense to me, to be honest. Can't say I ever feel like I know too much stuff, and any bit of information may prove useful, or at the very least, interesting, at some point in time. I guess I just don't think in the same way as Sherlock Holmes does (or Arthur Conan Doyle I suppose).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Makes practically no sense to me, to be honest. Can't say I ever feel like I know too much stuff, and any bit of information may prove useful, or at the very least, interesting, at some point in time.
    I also feel the same about this, we simply don't have enough time to fill our brains to full capacity for our thoughts to be drowned out. Whatever I learn, it's usually detailed but broad enough for me to appreciate at some point in the future as well as the present. It helps me form some models albeit small, but nonetheless a part of a gigantic three dimensional puzzle... I don't need to learn about psychology as I have no interest in becoming a psychologist but I do it anyways because it's fun, stretches my thinking and may prove useful in the future.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.