Turn on thread page Beta

What is the history of the Univerity of Derby? Is it a long-established university or has it been
    recently created from colleges or a polytechnic?

I can't find this information on the university website.

Laurence Koster writes
    [q1]>What is the history of the Univerity of Derby? Is it a long-established university or has it been[/q1]
    [q1]>recently created from colleges or a polytechnic?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I can't find this information on the university website.[/q1]

IIRC, the Mickleover campus was originally called Lonsdale Teacher Training College. HTH
    --
    dawn

"Laurence Koster" wrote
    [q1]> What is the history of the Univerity of Derby? Is it a long-established university or has it been[/q1]
    [q1]> recently created from colleges or a polytechnic?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I can't find this information on the university website.[/q1]

It was originally a college which gained University status in, I believe, 1992.

Dawn

Laurence

It used to be a college of higher education then it received a university status in 1992 like the
    other fifty former polytechnics. It never operated as a polytechnic. When it was granted a
    university status, it went 'trading' as a university.

If you want to find out its former status, I recommend you to read the (annual) 2002 Times Good
    University Guide. It tells you a brief history of each UK universities and its ranking.

Trust this help.

Robert

"Laurence Koster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> What is the history of the Univerity of Derby? Is it a long-established university or has it been[/q1]
    [q1]> recently created from colleges or a polytechnic?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I can't find this information on the university website.[/q1]

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.