Turn on thread page Beta

The Edexcel scandal - will they...? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    perhaps im being naiive, but i dont think that THAT MANY will have cheated on the test, and have scored highly ( we are guessing) as result, to effect the overall percentage of people getting A's, B's, C's. etc.
    people who without cheating would have got crap marks, may simply be easily noticed if they are trying to write answers from memory rather than understanding what they are writing.
    secondly, people who have cheated who would have done "ok" without cheating, will not really affect the grade boundaries i wouldnt imagine as they may have done better or worse in the exam anyway....

any thoughts?
    True, the effect would be miniscule at worst, but you're talking about people's Alevel's here, their university places. People assume it's an absolutely impeccable system. The exam boards/police/government/media don't even know the scale of the problem. It's not nearly good enough to have any undermining of the integrity of the system, and to pretend it's not a big deal which is under control is an insult to students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    What a load of crap. Helping people isn't cheating :rolleyes: Everyone should have access to information and help when they need it.
    people are given answers on a plate here though. someone will get stuck on something, or wont know what to do next on a piece of coursework and then ask for help and get it from the inevitable person who will know.

it should be up to the intelligence of the person to research and find the answer themselves by looking for better explanations or something. when u ask a teacher for help they help u but they dont just give u the answer, just handy pointers.

for the geography exam which i did (synop), there was 10 pages of stuff which was bull as u should have found your own methods for research

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prologue)
    people are given answers on a plate here though. someone will get stuck on something, or wont know what to do next on a piece of coursework and then ask for help and get it from the inevitable person who will know.

it should be up to the intelligence of the person to research and find the answer themselves by looking for better explanations or something. when u ask a teacher for help they help u but they dont just give u the answer, just handy pointers.

for the geography exam which i did (synop), there was 10 pages of stuff which was bull as u should have found your own methods for research
    If UKL is getting it on a plate, then some schools are mushing it up and injecting directly into the student's artery's. This is why I think coursework is a bit silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    If UKL is getting it on a plate, then some schools are mushing it up and injecting directly into the student's artery's. This is why I think coursework is a bit silly.
    The amount of coursework that is copied and pasted from essaybank or somewhere similar is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    hilarious. not many places are like that though. coursewok is good because u need to be able to work on a big project under pressure and have a wide range of tasks and work to a deadline and u have time to do eveything u want and its your responsibility. people keep jumping on badwagaons like edexcel= bad, coursework= bad, gov= bad

essaybank should be prosecuted

ReputationRep:
    hilarious. not many places are like that though. coursewok is good because u need to be able to work on a big project under pressure and have a wide range of tasks and work to a deadline and u have time to do eveything u want and its your responsibility. people keep jumping on badwagaons like edexcel= bad, coursework= bad, gov= bad

essaybank should be prosecuted
    Even if you took UKL and essaybank out of the question, there's still little regulation on the conditions that coursework is done in. And just because some schools are tough and rigorous, it's well know that many if not most practically do the coursework for them. "Now write something to the effect of this, but change it a little so the moderator doesn't get too suspicous."

I'm sure it has its advantages, but it clearly fails to be remotely rigorous.

ReputationRep:
    the vast majority of colleges are straight

im sure that without a doubt, more kids get all their answers without any struggle by asking questions from here or essaybank or some other attrosity then from all the teachers being all pally with students and giving them anwers. thats a ukl myth to counteract my claims

ReputationRep:
    the vast majority of colleges are straight

im sure that without a doubt, more kids get all their answers without any struggle by asking questions from here or essaybank or some other attrosity then from all the teachers being all pally with students and giving them anwers. thats a ukl myth to counteract my claims
    Okay, niether of us have evidence to say which way it swings, so we can hardly argue with that anymore.

But regardless, do you not thing the unregulated nature of coursework means it's just asking to be buggered by things like essaybank and overhelpful teachers? Can you really say you think the system is standardised when there's such easy opportunities to take shortcuts? (Regardless of the existance of essaybank, UKL, overhelpful teachers)

ReputationRep:
    I too fear the fact that the coursework I slave away at for my non-rule bending teachers is undermined by those who have answers given to them, and unlimited Q and As... However, at the same time, I believe examinations, however well administered they were, would never truly reflect my abilities.

At the end of the day, coursework not only factors in working under pressure, and memory; which exams are becoming depressingly more dependent upon, but also your work ethic and ingenuity - skills I need a chance to show off.

I think exams, at the end of the day, especially when there are leakages and such, are an unfair gage of my abilities, and probably many other people's.

ReputationRep:
    robbie c has it right.

coursework needs to be there becos ne robot can revise for a exam and remember revison material word 4 word but u need something different to seperate people and look at there use of grammar, overal english, putting together of words, discriptiion stuff etc.

overall, cousework= integral to overall grade, essaybank/ukl q an a= bad

ReputationRep:
    robbie c has it right.

coursework needs to be there becos ne robot can revise for a exam and remember revison material word 4 word but u need something different to seperate people and look at there use of grammar, overal english, putting together of words, discriptiion stuff etc.

overall, cousework= integral to overall grade, essaybank/ukl q an a= bad
    Okay you're rather stuck on one point, yes, it has its advantages, but those advantages are rather nullified by the fact that people will always take shortcuts.

ReputationRep:
    exactly.

but we need teachers obviosly but we dont need the extra cheating help

so shortcuts may be made

but they shouldnt be provided easily by essaybank etc

ReputationRep:
    exactly.

but we need teachers obviosly but we dont need the extra cheating help

so shortcuts may be made

but they shouldnt be provided easily by essaybank etc
    It is inevitable that people will cheat. So why have coursework at all? It's only testing all these things you hold so dear if people do it properly which clearly they're not.

ReputationRep:
    It is inevitable that people will cheat. So why have coursework at all? It's only testing all these things you hold so dear if people do it properly which clearly they're not.
    firstly - people only arent doing it properly as people like you advocate and preach and defend essaybank and the such.

seondly - coursework usually favours the most creative and shows off the full range of your capabilities more but i can see why some would rather just do exams as they are more one dimensional

ReputationRep:
    firstly - people only arent doing it properly as people like you advocate and preach and defend essaybank and the such.
    It's not a secure system, it's just not, allowing people to write things in their own time without any regulation is just not secure. You can't blame essaybank for that. You really have to appreciate that.

seondly - coursework usually favours the most creative and shows off the full range of your capabilities
    Not if people don't do it properly! Which I'm fairly sure I established was inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day, there IS coursework because all of the exam boards in the country believe what i am saying is true and employers advise exam boards to do this so they can get a better picture of how good the student is from their grades and what they have worked for.

theres always gonna be people who dont like coursework because they are outperformed by more creative peolple or dont like writing and prefer short answers or multiple choice.

essaybank is frankly a shambles and they should be sent to prison for 10 years for degrading the global education system.

the vast majority of students dont get past cwks from teahcers and the like but essaybank that u r defending (do u work 4 them) is the reason for ur point so y r u defending it

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day, there IS coursework because all of the exam boards in the country believe what i am saying is true and employers advise exam boards to do this so they can get a better picture of how good the student is from their grades and what they have worked for.

theres always gonna be people who dont like coursework because they are outperformed by more creative peolple or dont like writing and prefer short answers or multiple choice.

essaybank is frankly a shambles and they should be sent to prison for 10 years for degrading the global education system.

the vast majority of students dont get past cwks from teahcers and the like but essaybank that u r defending (do u work 4 them) is the reason for ur point so y r u defending it
    Well with all due respect, you have utterly failed to defend coursework directly. So that's probably one reason why I'm arguing. I don't work for essaybank and reading up I'm fairly sure I wasn't defending them. The reason I dislike coursework is not because I was outperformed (my subjects are extremely exam intensive and don't even have coursework), but because I honestly think it's blatantly useless as I thought I showed earlier.

ReputationRep:
    if u perform better in coursework then u are probably more gifted i think.

just like in cycling, who ever performs best in the individual time trials is the best cyclist not the winners of biased stages.

coursework is something you have the time you need to do eveything u need to do and so shows eveything you know and have learned.

it is more of a test of how good you will be in the real world if done properly, and most do except people who use essaybank and ukl q and a which u like cos ppl helped to bump up ur grades i c.

u have to put loads of efort into cwk and it is in the same style that u do things in the real world with deadlines set and pieces of similar work being set and complex research tasks being set.

coursework gives u freedom to express yourself and u can really stamp ur own style on it. u have time to finsih everythin till ur happy and can say that uve done the work how u want and ur way and have added ur own personal twists on it and have done all the grammar and punc correctly as theyre no excuses of time.

thats y exam boards like coursework and it will remain for the the next 100 years

ReputationRep:
    if u perform better in coursework then u are probably more gifted i think.

just like in cycling, who ever performs best in the individual time trials is the best cyclist not the winners of biased stages.

coursework is something you have the time you need to do eveything u need to do and so shows eveything you know and have learned.

it is more of a test of how good you will be in the real world if done properly, and most do except people who use essaybank and ukl q and a which u like cos ppl helped to bump up ur grades i c.

u have to put loads of efort into cwk and it is in the same style that u do things in the real world with deadlines set and pieces of similar work being set and complex research tasks being set.

coursework gives u freedom to express yourself and u can really stamp ur own style on it. u have time to finsih everythin till ur happy and can say that uve done the work how u want and ur way and have added ur own personal twists on it and have done all the grammar and punc correctly as theyre no excuses of time.

thats y exam boards like coursework and it will remain for the the next 100 years
    I think the most difficult thing any 18 year old can do is a STEP exam to be honest =P I'd rather do 50 pieces of coursework than that.

ReputationRep:
    ive just done
    a2 geo, econ, ict
    as phys, pe

do u do more math orientated btw

ps i dunno what step test is so cant be that common

my hardest work was 28 page econ cwk and altogether my ict cwks have amounted to about 300 pages for all i think and theyre so long that u cant really cheat as theyre too mauch

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.