Turn on thread page Beta

Looking at cars - 4 cars now all of them duds watch

ReputationRep:
    The one we saw today was lovely, lovely condition no rattles, 81k with service history but it belched out thick black smoke and stalled a couple of times during the test drive so walked away.

It is such a shame because its a nice car otherwise but with only 5 months MOT and the fact its not been serviced for a year I am not willing to find out what the cause of the smoke is.

Surely for £700-£800 there must be something that is still in good mechanical condition?

ReputationRep:
    For that sort of money you should easily be able to get something mechanically sound, it's just a matter of time and patience. I looked at at least 15 Range Rovers before deciding on mine, and some of them were real dogs. You'll find a good'en eventually, but it might take a little while.

ReputationRep:
    What car are you looking at buying?

ReputationRep:
    MK4 Fiesta as its just the perfect size (my dads industrial machine fits in the boot).

I think part the problem is these engines need 5/30 but most people put 15/30 in them causing premature wear. One of the cars I looked at didn't even start and the drivers door didn't open, the other was just clocked ran rich and sounded as bad as mine, the third was a mixture of all the above and the one today smoked and stalled twice.

If I don't find a good one by next week I will start looking at car loans I think.

Edit for now I am just going to get my oil changed so it starts in the morning and keep a look out for something better than the ones I have seen.

ReputationRep:
    You've only looked at 4 cars.
    Patience grasshopper.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose the problem is in the past we have had £1700 and £5000 to spend so there is much better cars in that price bracket, at this lower end there is bound to be more duds.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a really good car for sod all you NEED to be patient.
    How long did it take me to find an imaculate shopping trolley? About 4 months.

ReputationRep:
    I just thinner oil cures the problem with my car starting otherwise patience is not an option .

It dosn't have to be immaculate you're going to get minor dents etc on a 10 year old car and the odd little bit of engine wear but it does have to do another 20,000 miles without an engine rebuild.

ReputationRep:
    But the thing is you can get a perfect old car for not much money, as JC has nicely shown us all. Maybe you should start to look out of Manchester?? if you already havent.

ReputationRep:
    mk4 fiesta for that kind of money? Mk3 more like, I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    Mk4 Fiesta near me

1996 FORD Fiesta 1.4 Ghia Zetec

Price:
    £995

Features:

* 66,000 miles
    * MANUAL
    * BLUE
    * PETROL
    * Hatchback
    * P reg (1996)

So it can be done. well £100 pound over budget

ReputationRep:
    We are really looking at the cheaper 1.3 rather than the 16v Zetec simply as the 1.3 is a basic 8V unit driven a chain so less to go wrong long term but if we find a nice 1.25 with FSH we will consider it.

Basically if find a lovely car I will pay £1000 for it but it will stretch me a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magnad)
    mk4 fiesta for that kind of money? Mk3 more like, I'm afraid
    Nah, when i was looking at fiestas there's plenty around that price,
    At least, around where i live anyway
    I'm assuming prices go up a bit in the city?

ReputationRep:
    Get a real car

ReputationRep:
    A bubble 200 isnt a real car. Not by a long way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olyy)
    Nah, when i was looking at fiestas there's plenty around that price,
    At least, around where i live anyway
    I'm assuming prices go up a bit in the city?
    Indeed they do, the thing is we have decided to get a MK4 Fiesta and will pay a premium for a good one. Providing they are serviced with the correct oil they are very good engines (Endura E) and have a very strong HG and chain on the cambelt leaving to less things to worry about.

It is just a matter of finding one that dosn't run rich and has not been clocked.

Pants - My dad has somthing against the 200's for some reason, probably due to Rover and bad luck in my family (long story) but its been told in funerals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    A bubble 200 isnt a real car. Not by a long way.
    It will be a darn sight more reliable that a festa though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... but that wasnt the point he was making.

I've got a fester too atm... it wont have the ford power train for much longer though, so reliability shouldnt me much of an issue!

ReputationRep:
    Seen a nice P reg Ghia 1.4 Zetec S with 90bnp for £1000 with 1 owner from new and full stamped Ford service history. But £1000 is too much .

Saw another one yesterday but it belched out a puff of black smoke when revving so walked away .

ReputationRep:
    Asking price is NEVER the paid price.

You shoud expect to get minimum of £100 off in every £1000.

EG advertised at £1k sold at 900.

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.