i tink im havin last minutes doubts Watch

rukz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
this year for my 1st year in alevels i took business, media, law and english literature. i want to do business managment for uni however im tinkin did i choose da rite alevels. im gettin my results next week
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sounds like a pretty shoddy combination if you ask me, though if you're planning to write with that kind of spelling and punctuation in all of them, you might be OK.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Those are all subjects that involve problem-solving, and an understanding of audience/context, so all have some good transferrable skills and can help you get your choice of degree yeah.
Use your Personal Statement to sell yourself and explain your choices of subjects, and you'll be fine.
lea164
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why do you think you haven't chose the right subjects? cpj1987 is right collectively they'll give you a good set of transferable skills which you could use to get into uni.
thesard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by rukz)
this year for my 1st year in alevels i took business, media, law and english literature. i want to do business managment for uni however im tinkin did i choose da rite alevels. im gettin my results next week
It's a bit late to be wondering whether you chose the right A-levels if you want to enter university this year. You can definitely get into a university to study Business Management. However, as TML said:
(Original post by TML)
You need at least two "traditional subjects" to get into one of the Russell Twelve unis. There are exceptions but it's best to be safe.
I'm not sure what universities constitute the 'Russell Twelve' but, rest assured, it's not the be all and end all.

EDIT: the second quote comes from http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=433992
strawberry_wise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
When the Head of Media Studies at my college was trying to convince the management to let them offer Film Studies A-level as well, he produced a report and phoned around all of the top universities' admissions departments. All of them, including Oxford, said that they had no problem accepting students with Media Studies or Film Studies A-levels or even students who had studied both.

Whilst I realise that this is largely anecdotal, I would suggest that is worth taking the wailings of the anti-Media Studies brigade with a pinch of salt.
Melancholy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
General studies is the only subject that colleges/universities won't accept as a proper subject [in that it won't be used in your conditional offers]. However two traditional subjects is, well, traditional. The OP should be fine.
lea164
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by strawberry_wise)
When the Head of Media Studies at my college was trying to convince the management to let them offer Film Studies A-level as well, he produced a report and phoned around all of the top universities' admissions departments. All of them, including Oxford, said that they had no problem accepting students with Media Studies or Film Studies A-levels or even students who had studied both.

Whilst I realise that this is largely anecdotal, I would suggest that is worth taking the wailings of the anti-Media Studies brigade with a pinch of salt.
Thats very true. I hate it when people (who usually have never studied media studies) say its an easy a-level. Apparently its harder to get an A in media than it is to get an A in maths.
Melancholy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, I'd agree. It's just how the system operates, I'm afraid.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah. The problem is that stereotypical views have been created; and there aren't that many brave enough to take the risk and prove those stereotypes wrong.
OP your choices will set you up well for a Business degree, so don't panic.
thesard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lea164)
Thats very true. I hate it when people (who usually have never studied media studies) say its an easy a-level. Apparently its harder to get an A in media than it is to get an A in maths.
I've taken neither subject at A-level standard, but I find it hard to believe that it's harder to get an A in Media Studies than it is to get an A in Maths. I do acknowledge the fact that you said "apparently" so I'm not actually disagreeing with you here. 'Tis my opinion, that's all.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thesard)
I've taken neither subject at A-level standard, but I find it hard to believe that it's harder to get an A in Media Studies than it is to get an A in Maths. I do acknowledge the fact that you said "apparently" so I'm not actually disagreeing with you here. 'Tis my opinion, that's all.
It might be true though (again, I'm not saying it is, I didn't do both so I don't know). In Maths, there are things you need to learn; and if you learn them all, you'll be fine. Media cannot be learned in the same way, it involves learning basic key elements, and applying them using your own thoughts/knowledge/justification. In this way, I think there's a chance that Media could be more difficult than Maths.
lea164
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, well it was my media teacher that said so. but from experience I got better grades in maths than i did in media.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Though a maths student could at least have a decent stab at a media studies paper having never gone to a media studies class, whereas I highly doubt a media studies student could make the same credible stab at a maths paper.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Angelil)
Though a maths student could at least have a decent stab at a media studies paper having never gone to a media studies class, whereas I highly doubt a media studies student could make the same credible stab at a maths paper.
Again, that might be so, but I don't see a Maths student getting an A in Media, which is what was being discussed above. My argument was that if someone was to compare both subjects on an equal level, having studied both, they'd probably be more likely to do better in a Maths A-Level than in a Media one.
strawberry_wise
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A maths student could have a stab at a media studies paper without knowledge of the methodology and terminology...much in the same way as a media studies student trying to do a maths paper.
thesard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I studied Media at GCSE (oh, the novelty!) as well as Maths. I did a lot better at Media (A) than I did Maths (B). I found that Media Studies required an inherent amount of common sense rather than technical knowledge. I studied it for two years, whereas I studied Maths for, well, since the dawn of time (okay, when I started nursery!).

I still have the opinion that it is harder to get an A in Maths than it is to get an A in Media Studies.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I studied Media at GCSE (oh, the novelty!) as well as Maths. I did a lot better at Media (A) than I did Maths (B). I found that Media Studies required an inherent amount of common sense rather than technical knowledge. I studied it for two years, whereas I studied Maths for, well, since the dawn of time (okay, when I started nursery!).

I still have the opinion that it is harder to get an A in Maths than it is to get an A in Media Studies.

Fair enough, but that WAS a GCSE lol, doubt they'd bring in the technical stuff as much there. Still, nice to see the opinion of someone who's done both.
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This discussion about Media Studies misses the point. It may or may not be easy, I don't know. I do know that it's certainly easier than Maths/Physics/History/English etc but that's fairly obvious. The truth is that nobody takes it seriously, either way. As for doubting your A Levels, I wouldn't worry too much. Except for Media Studies, they're all pretty solid subjects. Business is seen as a fairly 'soft' subject, but that's ok. Law is fine for any Uni course except Law, where it's only really any good as a third subject, with two proper ones. But your combination gives you a few options. If you want to do Business Management at Uni, you won't have any trouble with those.
strawberry_wise
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There is as big a difference between GCSE Media Studies and A-level Media Studies as there is between GCSE Maths and A-level Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (170)
27.07%
No (458)
72.93%

Watched Threads