Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

? Which uni for Economics ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey! i'm new to this forum, and i was wondering what your thoughts are on the following uni's for economics, entry in 05:

Durham
    Bristol
    Royal Holloway
    Exeter
    Manchester
    Loughborough

thanks in advance x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super_Woman)
    Hey! i'm new to this forum, and i was wondering what your thoughts are on the following uni's for economics, entry in 05:

Durham
    Bristol
    Royal Holloway
    Exeter
    Manchester
    Loughborough

thanks in advance x
    all very good

Bristol
    Durham
    Manchester
    Loughborough
    Exeter
    Royal Holloway - thats how i rank these universities' economic department, maybe even manchester on top of durham, cus the city is way cooler

ReputationRep:
    starting sept 2004 im doing economics at exeter. the staff in the department seemed very encouraging at the open day and the course is very flexible, you can pick options from all over the university, e.g. maths department, politics department, geography department (within reason). plus uni is beautiful. have i got u convinced? the others on your list i didnt look at ( personally didnt know they were that good uni's, i possibly am wrong) apart from bristol which i also know is well regarded in economics, i didnt have the AAA predicted grades they wanted though so i got into exeter instead ABB grades wanted this year. may have raised to AAB though for 2005?

ReputationRep:
    8 Durham - a Popular University always going to be competative, Good Economics department, u be lucky to be admitted with ABB!
    12 Bristol - Good Reputation but perhaps their economics department isn;t as good.
    15 Royal Holloway - i Say u'd have a good chance of getting an offer with ABB
    31 Exeter - Should be pretty the same as RH
    17 Manchester - Good Economics Department, Good Reputation and U will need high grades (AAB )
    10 Loughborough - Its going to be easiest to get into...good sporting facilities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    8 Durham - a Popular University always going to be competative, Good Economics department, u be lucky to be admitted with ABB!
    12 Bristol - Good Reputation but perhaps their economics department isn;t as good.
    15 Royal Holloway - i Say u'd have a good chance of getting an offer with ABB
    31 Exeter - Should be pretty the same as RH
    17 Manchester - Good Economics Department, Good Reputation and U will need high grades (AAB )
    10 Loughborough - Its going to be easiest to get into...good sporting facilities
    you think loughborough is easiest to get into? my friend needed aab even that the requirement grade is bbb :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    you think loughborough is easiest to get into? my friend needed aab even that the requirement grade is bbb :eek:
    which course was this for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    which course was this for?
    econ

ReputationRep:
    thanks peeps. Durham raised the entry to AAB next year.. i too was shocked when i got the email back from the econ dept. i tried to spread the grades out in case of any pitfalls, but i thought Exeter was ABB-BBB for 05 entry? :confused: ah well. thanks alot for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super_Woman)
    thanks peeps. Durham raised the entry to AAB next year.. i too was shocked when i got the email back from the econ dept. i tried to spread the grades out in case of any pitfalls, but i thought Exeter was ABB-BBB for 05 entry? :confused: ah well. thanks alot for your help!

What subjects are u doing and what u think u be predicted?

ReputationRep:
    it simply says on exeter website for 2005 that courses including economics, accounting and finance, and a few of the other maths based courses range from AAB- BBB (with A at gcse maths being preferred) . economics is becoming increasingly popular and i would suggest that if this year they were asking abb, that next year u shud expect the possibility of aab.

http://www.ex.ac.uk/ugp/degrees/bus_entry.shtml

this will be across the board in all uni's. It says on ucas website that applications for university went up by 2.5% from last year. sadly, there havent been 2.5% more places...its time to get competitive people of 2005!!

ReputationRep:
    2.9% soz, i dont want to mislead people...not that u care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    2.9% soz, i dont want to mislead people...not that u care
    wow exeter aab, i would never have guessed

ReputationRep:
    wow exeter aab, i would never have guessed
    yeah, when i first started looking at uni's in 2002/03 i hadnt really heard of exeter as a good uni, but i went to an open day in 2003 just to have a look. they have a brand new business and economics block and have really raised their game with grade requirements. hopefully my abb offer will become more valuable in the future if exeter becomes a real contender amongst the top uni's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    No...
    I think for a BA in Econ at Manchester you need ABC...but ask Tednol as he is doing econ there...

ReputationRep:
    all very good

Bristol
    Durham
    Manchester
    Loughborough
    Exeter
    Royal Holloway - thats how i rank these universities' economic department, maybe even manchester on top of durham, cus the city is way cooler
    Personally I would rank both Exeter and Royal Holloway above Loughborough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Personally I would rank both Exeter and Royal Holloway above Loughborough.
    im not sure about the economics department, but both the business department and overall uni department are top 10 in the uk, i assumed the economics department is very decent as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    No...
    I think for a BA in Econ at Manchester you need ABC...but ask Tednol as he is doing econ there...

Yes but i think Manchester, like lse and etc.., set low "standard offers"... i mean u mayget ABB and still be rejected.
    I think BA Economics at manchester is a very popular course because all of those people who denied a place at Oxbridge/war/ucl and so on ....because they didn't have A-level Maths would want to go to Manchester for BA economics. I think ABC doesn;t represent whats actually required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Yes but i think Manchester, like lse and etc.., set low "standard offers"... i mean u mayget ABB and still be rejected.
    I think BA Economics at manchester is a very popular course because all of those people who denied a place at Oxbridge/war/ucl and so on ....because they didn't have A-level Maths would want to go to Manchester for BA economics. I think ABC doesn;t represent whats actually required.
    The prospectus states ABC with Economics and Maths for the BSc, I think its ABB if you only have Maths.
    So I would of thought you would need at least ABB for the BA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    The prospectus states ABC with Economics and Maths for the BSc, I think its ABB if you only have Maths.
    So I would of thought you would need at least ABB for the BA.
    Yeah, 2004 entry saw a typical offer of ABB for the BA Econ.

I was predicted AAA and got an offer on the BA Econ of ABB. One of my friends was predicted AAB and got rejected. I also know someone who was also predicted AAB but got an offer of AAB. This is all for 2004 entry.

I think they state their standard offer is ABB for the BA Econ but most people applying will probably be predicted AAA-AAB as it seems a popular choice amongst a lot of people who also apply to oxbridge and the other top 10 etc..From what i've heard this year offers have ranged between BBB-AAB with most being ABB - however for 2005 entry i wouldn't be surprised if the common offer moved up to AAB - doubt there will be any AAA offers made though.

EDIT: Also agree with HamaL - I think Manchesters offers dont reflect the standards. Almost everyone i know who applied was predicted at least AAB and had also applied to Warwick, Nottingham, Durham, Bath, York etc who all require the AAB minimum. Like HamaL said, Manchester is attractive to people without A'level maths. It's one of the last top universities that don't require it. I only had AS level maths and my applications were very limited. After Oxford, Manchester was the place i wanted to be. Other people in this situation will have high predicted gardes meaning applications with just ABB could no longer be as safe as they once were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    What subjects are u doing and what u think u be predicted?
    I'm doing Business & Economics, Maths, Computer Studies and Chemistry and taking all through to A2 except Chemistry.

I'm not sure what i'll be predicted, possibly:
    Business & Economics A/B
    Maths A/B
    Computer Studies B

I am gonna work really hard next year though, as I really want to get into Durham. Also, Durham only send out offers to candidates with predictions of AAA.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.