Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Wanting to become a Primary teacher

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I've known for about a year now that I want to be a primary school teacher. I am in my fourth and last year of my graphic design degree. What can I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can do lots of things!

I will mention the PGCE which is a one year course. You will do written work such as assignments, and also teach 2 days a week. After this you're basically qualified.

Others will mention some other courses I am sure, but I don't really know about them! If you have any PGCE questions though I can answer them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    You can do lots of things!

I will mention the PGCE which is a one year course. You will do written work such as assignments, and also teach 2 days a week. After this you're basically qualified.

Others will mention some other courses I am sure, but I don't really know about them! If you have any PGCE questions though I can answer them.
    Thanks for replying. I really regret my degree choice but it's too late to get out of it. Is a PGCE like a post grad? Any details would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAmaryllis)
    Thanks for replying. I really regret my degree choice but it's too late to get out of it. Is a PGCE like a post grad? Any details would be great.
    Yes. You finish your degree and then do the PGCE which stands for postgrad certificate in education. It's what I and alot of others did on here.

The cost is £9000 but you take out a loan as you did undergrad. Depending on what you teach, you may also get a bursary or scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    Yes. You finish your degree and then do the PGCE which stands for postgrad certificate in education. It's what I and alot of others did on here.

The cost is £9000 but you take out a loan as you did undergrad. Depending on what you teach, you may also get a bursary or scholarship.
    I'm in Scotland so not sure if that would be different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAmaryllis)
    Hi all

I've known for about a year now that I want to be a primary school teacher. I am in my fourth and last year of my graphic design degree. What can I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.teachinscotland.org/

http://www.teachinscotland.org/getin...duateroute.asp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    The structure of PGCE courses vary massively - I'd say teaching 2 days a week isn't the case with most courses because it doesn't allow you to experience the realities of having a full time timetable. Mine involved block placements where I started off teaching 2 days a week (40% of a fully qualified teacher's timetable) but I was teaching 60% by the end of that first placement. I had an 80% timetable for half of the second placement and for the majority of the last placement too, so I had the same timetable as an NQT most of the time. This made the transition to NQT slightly less of a shock but juggling what was nearly a full time teaching job alongside uni work was tough going at times.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.