Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Dislike my course

ReputationRep:
    //

ReputationRep:
    Drop out > get a job and retake A levels > reapply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studip)
    I have been playing around with the idea of doing a few new A-Levels in a gap year but I don't know how I'd go about it. And then I don't know which course I would reapply for. And my parents don't support the idea of a gap year. I told them I don't want to do this course, they asked me what I'll do instead and I can't answer that. They can't understand that I know what I DON'T want to do. I also said I'll fail first year uni given I don't like it and they don't care they just want me married off
    You are old enough to make your own decisions and I know you come from a strict family but you really need to explain that to them or they will keep dictating your life.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I started university recently and I'm not fond of it. I didn't put much thought into choosing and applying for my course. My poor AS grades limited my options. I thought I would do better at A2 and, in turn, reapply or go through adjustment. But that didn't happen! So now I'm stuck on a course that doesn't appeal to me. It is entirely my fault, but I felt pressured to apply to university. I'm not sure where I would be right now if I didn't have a university offer that I was hoping to meet after finishing college.

I'm doing a vocational course so there is some emphasis on being 'professional' and I don't like this aspect. I know it has only been a matter of a few days, however I strongly doubt it will grow on me.

For some perspective, in my A-Levels I got: A* in maths; B in chemistry; C in psychology. Not happy with those grades, I didn't enjoy year 13 at all. I feel I'm quite mathematically inclined though so I wish I attempted Physics or Further maths at AS/A-Level to see if I would have liked them, but I didn't. The course I'm doing has little maths. And with my grades it's difficult to transfer on to a different course at the same/another decent uni.

Another problem is that I live at home. Travelling to uni doesn't bother me but living at home with my parents does. Let's just say we have very different outlooks on life. I am 18, I know I can make my own decisions now, but it's a bit different with my family and it would be very hard to become independent right now.. unless I for some reason HAD to move out to do a different course at a different university.

I don't know what my options are now.
    Hello ,

My best advice is, is as others have said, to drop out of university now. If you aren't enjoying it and it isn't really for you - you aren't ever really going to enjoy your time at university.

Drop out of university, get a job or something along those lines, save up some money and redo your A Levels - save up your credits, do your research into universities and courses and choose the one for you!

Best of luck

I have been playing around with the idea of doing a few new A-Levels in a gap year but I don't know how I'd go about it. And then I don't know which course I would reapply for. And my parents don't support the idea of a gap year. I told them I don't want to do this course, they asked me what I'll do instead and I can't answer that. They can't understand that I know what I DON'T want to do. I also said I'll fail first year uni given I don't like it and they don't care they just want me married off
    What a pessimistic view about your course. if you cannot come up with a realistic idea of what you want to do instead
    then you should appreciate the fact you got the place

Are you sure you will benefit from university?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in your position right now. I didn't want to go straight into uni because I wanted to find out what course would suit me best and find myself within the gap year but I got forced to go by my family.

I've spoken to people outside of my family and they say do what's best for you. And it's true if you know it's not for you why are u doing it.

I recently withdrawn my place at uni, and honestly I'm so happy words cannot describe how I feel. The point I'm making is do what's best for u, do some research and talk to people e.g professionals or other family members.

Just beware tho there's gonna be people that will say just stay for the year and then drop out. Don't listen to them because they cannot determine your happiness ONLY YOU KNOW!!!

but good luck ☺️😁😁✊🏽

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.