Archaeology or Maths degree?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    They might seem like opposites, but I am not sure whether to study a maths or archaeology degree.

I have always loved history and am fascinated by how far we have come in a short period of time. I love the idea that ancient artifacts are right under our feet and we don't even know it, and how dramatically historical events have shaped our lives today. The problem, however, is whether it is a degree worth pursuing. I have looked on various websites suggesting that archaeology is a pointless degree, and you should study something more "worthwhile".

The other option is maths. Again, I do have an interest in the subject and also feel like it might get me further in life, especially with the increasing reliance on technology. I enjoy problem solving and mentally stimulating challenges.

I got AAAAA in my higher exam results in maths, english, history, chemistry and biology and I have taken Advanced Higher maths and history and higher italian and modern studies. I am only able to write one personal statement, and the only Scottish uni I could find who does a joint degree in both subjects is Glasgow.

Sorry for the long post, any replies would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I was in a similar position when choosing my a levels as I wasn't allowed to take both maths and history, I ended up choosing maths, which although it's sad that I didn't do history, I never regretted it. Saying that, it's always better to go with what you enjoy, maths is a very hard subject to do at uni and it's quite different to a level/higher, so if you feel you would regret not doing archaeology then go for archeology. However if you're really not sure and it's a 50/50 split then I'd probably suggest going for maths, better degree to have behind you, people assume you're really smart, better job opportunists etc etc

ReputationRep:
    I would say go for Maths, as long as it is what you enjoy. With a maths degree I'm sure you would probably find a little better jobs on the whole. However it's not worth doing a maths degree for 3 years or more and paying lots if you would rather being doing something else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kraken713)
    x
    In terms of archaelogy. Are you familar with latin or ancient greek language? do you have even work with one of them? ancient languages are an essential part of this study, if I trust in the statements of a former student.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    In terms of archaelogy. Are you familar with latin or ancient greek language? do you have even work with one of them? ancient languages are an essential part of this study, if I trust in the statements of a former student.*
    I have studied french and italian, if it's advised to learn the basics of a language I would be more than happy to do it if it helped me progress in the course

ReputationRep:
    A maths degree will give you many more options in life.

You can still maintain your passion for archaeology while doing a maths degree (join the archaeology society, volunteer on digs, travel to see ancient sites, read books and watch documentaries). You can't really do it the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    I have studied french and italian, if it's advised to learn the basics of a language I would be more than happy to do it if it helped me progress in the course
    You have a good attitude, I will give you that. But I just give you the advice not to underrestimate it. After the student who has talked to me, Latin is teached in this study faster by far. What you learn in five years at school that has to be learnt in a half year at university. It is an advantage for you to be familar with Roman languages, all the more if you have a good understanding in them.*

ReputationRep:
    Right ok, so if I did a combined honours would that still let me do a master's degree in either subject or would it disadvantage me compared to other applicants, even if I got a first?

ReputationRep:
    Right ok, so if I did a combined honours would that still let me do a master's degree in either subject or would it disadvantage me compared to other applicants, even if I got a first?
    'Combined honours' in the sense of taking mathematics and archaelogy as a study and to graduate in both with Master of Science? at the same time? it is an advantage insofar that you have two acadamic degrees at the same level in different studies, so you are more flexible than another applicants.. Plus you have the choice where you want to work.*

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump
    Did you not get the answers you desired to come to a decision?*

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.