Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

What university courses should I apply for?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on my gap year after achieving A*s in fine art, French, geography and EPQ. I also got an A in history. I'm hoping to go to a university like Oxford or Durham but I don't know which courses I would have a strong application for. My main interests are in history but I did better in my other subjects which I also loved. My EPQ was about different international cultures and religions and society. I've looked into archaeology which seems very interesting but do I need a science background?

ReputationRep:
    Look at a range of universities, a range of different courses, and see what appeals the most to you based on your interests rather than your grades. A*A*A*A is phenomenal, and I can't see why any of the universities would reject that, even if you did want to choose History.

Go to Open Days, talk to the universities, and just keep it open-minded for now and narrow it down as you explore your different options. You shouldn't have trouble getting into any of them.

Obviously with Oxford the application deadline is very soon, so start writing a personal statement - you'll be able to find loads of advice on here. Make sure you consider a variety of options before settling with something though.

Enjoy your gap year, and good luck with applications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boofox)
    I'm currently on my gap year after achieving A*s in fine art, French, geography and EPQ. I also got an A in history. I'm hoping to go to a university like Oxford or Durham but I don't know which courses I would have a strong application for. My main interests are in history but I did better in my other subjects which I also loved. My EPQ was about different international cultures and religions and society. I've looked into archaeology which seems very interesting but do I need a science background?
    Don't pick a university and then try to find a course. The course is more important and should come first in your decision making.

And in particular, you won't get far with an Oxbridge application unless you can demonstrate a true passion for your intended course.

That said, what about HSPS at Cambridge (includes international relations and archeology). Your A-levels and interests would be ideal for it.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...tical-sciences

Typically requires A*AA

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.