The Student Room Group

Is a Modern Foreign Language/Ebacc important for university?

Ok, so I was that dude who was asking GCSE Buisness or Computing and I dropped French for Computing. Now my MFL teacher approached me today explaining why it was bad to drop the language and how many schools "will reject me" because I don't have a GCSE in language. Does it really matter for my future? as she said that it has a big effect not sure if she's bluffing just to get me back into it
It really doesn’t affect you unless you want to go into a language-based a level or university course.
Some schools don't let you study sixth form there without a foreign language, but generally if you have enough GCSEs and with the grades required then it won't be a problem. In terms of uni, if you don't have a language qualification it doesn't really matter, because, as said above, it's only really needed if you're taking a language degree. You can always take up language learning later anyway. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by skrtskrtkid
Ok, so I was that dude who was asking GCSE Buisness or Computing and I dropped French for Computing. Now my MFL teacher approached me today explaining why it was bad to drop the language and how many schools "will reject me" because I don't have a GCSE in language. Does it really matter for my future? as she said that it has a big effect not sure if she's bluffing just to get me back into it

That is untrue, and she is saying that exclusively because she doesn't want you to switch course.
Original post by skrtskrtkid

not true at all, your teacher probably said that to make you feel bad for dropping french class
Reply 5
Original post by melisss22
not true at all, your teacher probably said that to make you feel bad for dropping french class

yeah she was lowkey sneak dissing other subjects haha!! but i think shes just trying to get me back for a higher statistic for french or someshi
Reply 6
I think only UCL used to require it at gcse, not sure if still do

Quick Reply

Latest