Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is a Modern Foreign Language/Ebacc important for university?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I was that dude who was asking GCSE Buisness or Computing and I dropped French for Computing. Now my MFL teacher approached me today explaining why it was bad to drop the language and how many schools "will reject me" because I don't have a GCSE in language. Does it really matter for my future? as she said that it has a big effect not sure if she's bluffing just to get me back into it

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn’t affect you unless you want to go into a language-based a level or university course.

ReputationRep:
    Some schools don't let you study sixth form there without a foreign language, but generally if you have enough GCSEs and with the grades required then it won't be a problem. In terms of uni, if you don't have a language qualification it doesn't really matter, because, as said above, it's only really needed if you're taking a language degree. You can always take up language learning later anyway. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skrtskrtkid)
    Ok, so I was that dude who was asking GCSE Buisness or Computing and I dropped French for Computing. Now my MFL teacher approached me today explaining why it was bad to drop the language and how many schools "will reject me" because I don't have a GCSE in language. Does it really matter for my future? as she said that it has a big effect not sure if she's bluffing just to get me back into it
    That is untrue, and she is saying that exclusively because she doesn't want you to switch course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skrtskrtkid)
    not true at all, your teacher probably said that to make you feel bad for dropping french class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melisss22)
    not true at all, your teacher probably said that to make you feel bad for dropping french class
    yeah she was lowkey sneak dissing other subjects haha!! but i think shes just trying to get me back for a higher statistic for french or someshi

ReputationRep:
    I think only UCL used to require it at gcse, not sure if still do

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 27, 2016
Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.