Shift patterns of an RAF Air Traffic Control Officer

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I'm currently going through the application process to become an Air Traffic Control Officer in the RAF, I've somehow managed to pass the filter interview and am now looking to cram as much knowledge in before selection. Does anybody know what the shift patterns are like for an ATC officer?

Thanks all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpwd92)
    Hi All,

I'm currently going through the application process to become an Air Traffic Control Officer in the RAF, I've somehow managed to pass the filter interview and am now looking to cram as much knowledge in before selection. Does anybody know what the shift patterns are like for an ATC officer?

Thanks all!
    The shift patterns will depend on a variety of things including the aircraft type on the station, the intensity of flying, the local airspace structure, exercises and operations, current team skills etc. There's no consistent pattern apart from the fact it is usually shift based work

ReputationRep:
    It is unit dependant and depends on wether the unit is night flying or day flying.

For example at a large southern 24 hour transport base there is a permanent "shift" in which is split the day in to the following an AM shift 7-3, PMs 3-11 and the night shift 11-7. There is also a day shift 9-5 in on working days but this skeletal manning will always be in the tower. A non 24 hour base will see you on either mornings or afternoons, flying programme will only effect in the way the timings work I.e for night flying etc etc. But that's usually how it works.

Your job as the officer at the start of your career is to get your teeth into controlling and learn it all, then usually on your 2nd posting you'll be given a more ATCO IC role and be able to take the "watch" on a weekend and then you can be trained as the ATC supervisor. I'd probably if you haven't already trying to get into an ATC tower, I'm sure this can be done through the AFCO.

Airspace structure shouldn't affect manning levels in anyway, however lack of manning can effect if you'll be stuck in the training system or be on days consolidating in position as that's where the traffic is!

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on the unit.

Usually a MANO shift pattern if they operate H24.*
    Morning - 0700-1500
    Afternoon - 1500-2300
    Night - 2300-0700

I've worked at units operating 0800-1700 though. *

Most first tourist officers will probably become a supervisor or get a junior exec role. I've seen some first tourists become and LEO (local examination officer), but it is rare.*

ReputationRep:
    Are there any ATC officers on here I can PM? In the same situation as the poster,recently passed CBAT for ATC and also ex-RAF myself, but have some questions I am unable to discover through forum searches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJayL)
    Are there any ATC officers on here I can PM? In the same situation as the poster,recently passed CBAT for ATC and also ex-RAF myself, but have some questions I am unable to discover through forum searches.
    Ask away.

ReputationRep:
    Anything he/she won't be able to answer, I probably will. So you've got good cover on here.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.