Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Question about assignments?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have noticed that it really depends on the teacher whether they will "have a look" at your assignment and tell you what to improve. Some may even mark them and tell you what to write/fix. Some on the other hand side will only explain thoroughly and just do the write up under exam conditions.

I have just started my Higher Biology assignment and the teacher today said that this is the only period we are spending on assignment and that the actual writing thing will be done 4 weeks from today. I was wondering is it allowed to write a draft and get it marked by a teacher? Because I could ask for help from my last year teacher and she wouldn't refuse to have a look at it, if it is allowed of course.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing N5 assignments this year and I think you're allowed to have a draft checked but not the final copy, as long as your teacher doesn't write it for you. Some teachers mark everyone's daft but some don't, if your old teacher would look at it then that's great. Hope this helps, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePancake)
    I'm doing N5 assignments this year and I think you're allowed to have a draft checked but not the final copy, as long as your teacher doesn't write it for you. Some teachers mark everyone's daft but some don't, if your old teacher would look at it then that's great. Hope this helps, good luck!
    It helps! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Assignments at all levels (N5, H & AH) are meant to be pretty much independent work. A teacher is allowed to provide input however if you ask for help frequently this may be reflected negatively in your final mark. You are correct in that each teacher is different in how much help they provide and the amount of help that would result in marks being taken away.

Having not done Biology I can't comment on the write up which has to be done for Higher however I am aware of teachers letting pupils perfect their write up beforehand and then just straight copy & pasting the word document over during the actual assignment. SQA policy for written assignments is that a teacher looks over one draft only, although in practice a teacher may look over several drafts and not penalise you for it.

Other teachers could look at your work although this may count as collaboration which isn't allowed as written in the My Coursework booklet and then disclaimers you sign when sending the coursework off, but I can't see any real issue with getting other teachers to look over your work personally.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, interesting. Our teacher said that she will look only at our sources and give advice if we should use them or no. She said she won't be marking anything. Also she made it clear that we will under no circumstances be allowed to have anything prepared. Only if we have memorised anything that will be fine.

Seems a little to strict to me, but all I could judge by is my last teacher. However based on what you said I will definitely try to get it looked over by someone else.

Thanks.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.