Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you use chopsticks? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling with how to use chopsticks.

I just think it would be cool to be a seasoned chopstick user.

ReputationRep:
    u hold one of em tightly between ur thumbs joint and ur index finger , hold the other one similairly but not too tight ... use ur index finger to move the top chopstick ...

its hard to pick up small stuff at first ... keep at it and ull end up eating rice with em too

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    thankyou

ReputationRep:
    you hold one really tight so it doesnt slip and hold the other one loose so you can wave it in the food to pick it up......thats how i get by anyhow! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    u cant eat like em though .... they eat oatmeal or sumthing similiar with chopsticks !! ....

its in their blood i guess ....

ReputationRep:
    I can't use them either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    I am struggling with how to use chopsticks.

I just think it would be cool to be a seasoned chopstick user.
    So as not to be seen as a plebeian, be sure to hold them as close to the end as possible (ie, far from the food).

i have given up on ever being able to achieve proper chopstick usage..

ReputationRep:
    I'm an expert
    just hold it like you hold a pen

ReputationRep:
    its fun eating with em at a chinese restaraunt ... none of my friends can use em , its fun to show off . I feel sophisticated ( im so lame )

(Original post by Fly By)
    I'm an expert
    just hold it like you hold a pen
    i can hold them-its actually using them lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    i can hold them-its actually using them lol
    hehe, well if you get two pen out....i can show you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    its fun eating with em at a chinese restaraunt ... none of my friends can use em , its fun to show off . I feel sophisticated ( im so lame )
    The Chinese eat everything using chopstick, even peanuts. I can use chopsticks with both hands, and I don't like to use them.

Try to pick up rice grains with chopstick, small challenge.

ReputationRep:
    Last time my friends and i got very drunk, we went and got chinese food and chopsticks to eat it with... it was highly amusing watching some people using chopsticks when drunk! I was fine though, i a seasoned chopstick user (plus i wasn't as drunk as some of my friends )

ReputationRep:
    How do you eat rice with chopsticks? We were recently at a Thai restaurant and I ate my meat and noodles fine with the chopsticks, but I didn't know how to eat rice with them. Do you try and scoop up the rice? Or do you try and pick up wods of rice? Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    How do you eat rice with chopsticks? We were recently at a Thai restaurant and I ate my meat and noodles fine with the chopsticks, but I didn't know how to eat rice with them. Do you try and scoop up the rice? Or do you try and pick up wods of rice? Anyone know?
    Place the bowl of rice next to your lips, tip the bowl, and scoop the rice into your mouth with the chopsticks. That's how my family does it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    put the bottom chopstic betweenyour middle and ring fingers.
    then put the top one resting on your middle finder, put your index finger over this. only the top chopstic should move and the ends should meet.

Don't be afraid to pick up the rice bowl and for rice use the chopsticks together like a spoon. (As squishy said)

I used to have a chinese flatmate, i could use chopsticks before that but i soon learned if we were sharing a meal to be quick before he ate it.

If I go to a chinese restraunt now I get the staff giving me a knowing look because I eat like a chinese person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    put the bottom chopstic betweenyour middle and ring fingers.
    then put the top one resting on your middle finder, put your index finger over this. only the top chopstic should move and the ends should meet.

Don't be afraid to pick up the rice bowl and for rice use the chopsticks together like a spoon. (As squishy said)

I used to have a chinese flatmate, i could use chopsticks before that but i soon learned if we were sharing a meal to be quick before he ate it.

If I go to a chinese restraunt now I get the staff giving me a knowing look because I eat like a chinese person.

A knowing look-because you eat fast? Ok, sounds cool.

ReputationRep:
    For eating rice, I either bring the bowl up to my mouth and scoop it in or if the rice isn't too wet, then I just pick out a small bunch and put it into my mouth like normal!

Chopsticks aren't difficult to learn how to use. You only need to move one stick!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.