Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Uni students of single parents do you feel this way too?

ReputationRep:
    So I'm finally moving out on Saturday and of course I'm excited to finally begin my life, so to speak, but I'm feeling incredibly guilty for leaving my single mum at home by herself. I'm not so worried about my dad (who is still friends with my mother thank god), as he's very social, popular, and my half-brother lives and studies in the city we're from. I just can't shake this feeling of guilt.

I know it's for the best, since I'm beginning to become a bit of a burden but we're incredibly close, and I respect her so much for the way she has raised me. So instead of feeling excited for starting university, I'm feeling incredibly tense. And I know she has friends and we have great neighbours but I still worry 😟 I don't believe a woman ever needs a man, but I do hope she finds someone who's worth her time and can fill the void I may leave.

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same way. My mum had a really rough divorce a few years back, she's not really got many friends, my siblings both live away - she's clearly sad in leaving and trying to hide it... I do feel awful. She's been saying all year she won't be on her own because she'll have our pet rabbit but we sadly lost her a couple of months ago...

I know in my head she's happy to see me go but :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    I feel exactly the same way. My mum had a really rough divorce a few years back, she's not really got many friends, my siblings both live away - she's clearly sad in leaving and trying to hide it... I do feel awful. She's been saying all year she won't be on her own because she'll have our pet rabbit but we sadly lost her a couple of months ago...

I know in my head she's happy to see me go but :/
    Whilst I'm glad, I'm also very sorry to see you're in the same boat, and I'm also sorry for the loss of your rabbit. Losing pet is really rough, it just adds salt into the wound Luckily we have a beautiful cat and my mum adores her (crazy cat lady in the making haha) but still...I would love her to go out with friends more or at least something. Are you also moving out this week?

ReputationRep:
    Just make a point of ringing regularly at first especially and she won't feel you've cut her out of your life.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.