ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71 gaming laptop - thoughts?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Evenin'I'm about settled on getting this laptop for gaming and streaming games to Twitch. Maybe a bit of video editing.
    I'd definitely be streaming Overwatch, and then some lower end games that I have kicking about in my library.
    Anyone have any previous experience of this laptop, or... yeah that's all I'm asking for.Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liomeeringca)
    Evenin'I'm about settled on getting this laptop for gaming and streaming games to Twitch. Maybe a bit of video editing.
    I'd definitely be streaming Overwatch, and then some lower end games that I have kicking about in my library.
    Anyone have any previous experience of this laptop, or... yeah that's all I'm asking for.Thanks!
    Top of the range spec there bar the Graphics Card. To be honest I feel you may as well buy a PC for that money (will it be about £850?) and just upgrade the GC to a 1060 if found at the right price. Hell you could even downgrade the processor to a later model of the i5 and get a better GC for the money saved.

Decent memory and looks good, enjoy whatever you buy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoPunInThisName)
    Top of the range spec there bar the Graphics Card. To be honest I feel you may as well buy a PC for that money (will it be about £850?) and just upgrade the GC to a 1060 if found at the right price. Hell you could even downgrade the processor to a later model of the i5 and get a better GC for the money saved.

Decent memory and looks good, enjoy whatever you buy!
    Thanks for your reply! I'd get a PC, but my living situation is a tad precarious. The dream is of course to build my own, but right now a laptop is the most sensible idea.

What's up with the graphics card?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply! I'd get a PC, but my living situation is a tad precarious. The dream is of course to build my own, but right now a laptop is the most sensible idea.

What's up with the graphics card?
    It's a mid range mobile GPU from the previous generation.

Mobile GPU's are at best, no more than 65% of the equivalent power of their desktop versions. A Desktop GTX960 would not be sufficient to play and simultaneously stream Overwatch to Twitch in a quality that would attract viewers, so the mobile version would just be plain painful to watch.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said it's a solid device for the price. However it's not entirely perfect for what you need.

The GPU, while solid overall is not going to be sufficient for Overwatch and Twitch simultaneously. A 970 would be the absolute minimum I'd recommend just for gaming and even then you get better value out of something from the 10 series. So ideally wait or buy something with a 10 series GPU if you can. Getting a 970 or higher will add cost and on top of that they're already fairly obsolete. Relatively speaking there's no perfect laptop for gaming and streaming simultaneously right now. There's always some problem you'll run into.

The second issue is the weight and size. You mention that you need a laptop now. If a desktop isn't an option I assume the reason you need a laptop is either the size or the portability. In terms of the latter a 17 inch, 3KG laptop isn't the biggest, heaviest thing around but it certainly isn't the most portable device.

In terms of the gaming and streaming aspect, laptops generally aren't the best devices to use. There's all the usual stuff like a desktop being better value but you also need to consider your setup. Are you somehow going to be gaming and streaming off the same monitor? It's far more efficient to have a dual monitor setup and that goes back to the GPU issue (it's not really powerful enough). You'll also always be tethered while gaming because you won't want to try steaming/gaming on battery power alone. On top of that you'll want a mouse for gaming, maybe your own keyboard, maybe a camera for streaming facecams, maybe a microphone. Luckily you've got 3 USB ports (and USB C) so you're almost covered. But by the time you've got everything set up you're basically tethered by power, a mouse, a mic, a camera, hopefully another monitor and possibly a keyboard.

With that amount of tethering it makes far more sense to buy a desktop. I don't want to turn you off the idea of laptop streaming, it's not impossible but for your money you'll get a much better experience with a desktop. Given that'll you'll hopefully have a second monitor alongside your laptop the space shouldn't be an issue, especially when you consider that you can get some fairly small desktop cases. In terms of cost a desktop works out better and realistically all you lose is the portability. If streaming is your main concern then portability somewhat disappears anyway.

Are there some other specific reasons that make a laptop more beneficial to you right now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    As others have said it's a solid device for the price. However it's not entirely perfect for what you need.

The GPU, while solid overall is not going to be sufficient for Overwatch and Twitch simultaneously. A 970 would be the absolute minimum I'd recommend just for gaming and even then you get better value out of something from the 10 series. So ideally wait or buy something with a 10 series GPU if you can. Getting a 970 or higher will add cost and on top of that they're already fairly obsolete. Relatively speaking there's no perfect laptop for gaming and streaming simultaneously right now. There's always some problem you'll run into.

The second issue is the weight and size. You mention that you need a laptop now. If a desktop isn't an option I assume the reason you need a laptop is either the size or the portability. In terms of the latter a 17 inch, 3KG laptop isn't the biggest, heaviest thing around but it certainly isn't the most portable device.

In terms of the gaming and streaming aspect, laptops generally aren't the best devices to use. There's all the usual stuff like a desktop being better value but you also need to consider your setup. Are you somehow going to be gaming and streaming off the same monitor? It's far more efficient to have a dual monitor setup and that goes back to the GPU issue (it's not really powerful enough). You'll also always be tethered while gaming because you won't want to try steaming/gaming on battery power alone. On top of that you'll want a mouse for gaming, maybe your own keyboard, maybe a camera for streaming facecams, maybe a microphone. Luckily you've got 3 USB ports (and USB C) so you're almost covered. But by the time you've got everything set up you're basically tethered by power, a mouse, a mic, a camera, hopefully another monitor and possibly a keyboard.

With that amount of tethering it makes far more sense to buy a desktop. I don't want to turn you off the idea of laptop streaming, it's not impossible but for your money you'll get a much better experience with a desktop. Given that'll you'll hopefully have a second monitor alongside your laptop the space shouldn't be an issue, especially when you consider that you can get some fairly small desktop cases. In terms of cost a desktop works out better and realistically all you lose is the portability. If streaming is your main concern then portability somewhat disappears anyway.

Are there some other specific reasons that make a laptop more beneficial to you right now?

Wow, thank you for such a detailed reply. I don't know a lot about specs and whatnot so this is really helpful.

The reason I'm leaning toward laptops instead of desktops is that I'm on a year abroad for my course in another country. I can't exactly stick a desktop in my hand luggage at the end of the year. I have no clue how to safely transport that home. Obviously I wouldn't stream outside of my home as you say, so the portability isn't that big of a deal but it's the fact that I have to get this stuff back to my home country.
    That again applies to the 'dual monitor setup' - ideal, but not what I can afford right now.
    I hope that explains it.

Could you give me... I don't know, a shopping list of what I need to look for in laptop specs in order to be able to stream and play comfortably? You state that I need a 10 series GPU, is there anything else that's a requirement for what I intend to use the laptop for?

Thanks again

Theres a version of that with a 970.
    Ironically I was looking at an advert for that just the other day and the price was the same but in £ so a 1$=£1 conversion.

ReputationRep:
    Check out Razor Blades, they're considered the best gaming laptops by many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena64)
    Check out Razor Blades, they're considered the best gaming laptops by many.
    Not available in the UK yet, after import fees, literally anything on the market is cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Am I being a doofus if I buy a gaming laptop with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M? Like I would love to upgrade to the 10 series but that actually doubles the price of the laptop soooooooo you see my predicament...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    Not available in the UK yet, after import fees, literally anything on the market is cheaper.
    Ah, that's terrible. I didn't know it wasn't over here yet. Ah, well, I'm sorry I can't help much. >.<

Hopefully someone can help you further.

ReputationRep:
    I know the 970 is good but the 1060 is recommended. Check out ComputerPlanet, Novatech and Overclockers for solid prices!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you for such a detailed reply. I don't know a lot about specs and whatnot so this is really helpful.

The reason I'm leaning toward laptops instead of desktops is that I'm on a year abroad for my course in another country. I can't exactly stick a desktop in my hand luggage at the end of the year. I have no clue how to safely transport that home. Obviously I wouldn't stream outside of my home as you say, so the portability isn't that big of a deal but it's the fact that I have to get this stuff back to my home country.
    That again applies to the 'dual monitor setup' - ideal, but not what I can afford right now.
    I hope that explains it.

Could you give me... I don't know, a shopping list of what I need to look for in laptop specs in order to be able to stream and play comfortably? You state that I need a 10 series GPU, is there anything else that's a requirement for what I intend to use the laptop for?

Thanks again
    Ah okay I can see how a laptop would be better in that respect. What country is it? Would there be an option of buying or building a machine while abroad? And if you absolutely can't bring it back sell it for a small loss and keep the hard drives? Same for any bulky hardware like monitors?

In terms of safely transporting the desktop it is possible, finding a courier isn't usually an issue. Providing you package it really well it'll be fine. People send desktops via courier just fine in the UK, all you're doing is popping it on a plane as well. Take appropriate precautions like removing the GPU and you'd be fine.

And while you joke about putting a computer in your hand luggage it isn't actually that far fetched. I wouldn't recommend it but you could get a small case that would fit in a hand luggage bag or suitcase just fine. Not a serious suggestion but it's not impossible.

As far as dual monitors go, your best bet is to buy a cheap TV or monitor while you're away to use as a second display. Not having a second display really hurts when it comes to twitch because you'll have to back out of any game stream to actually make changes if you've got one display. I'm sure people do it but it's not the best way. So ideally look for something you can use as a second monitor. Doesn't need to be HD or amazing specs or anything.

Basically all your specs are perfectly fine with exception to the GPU. You need a 970 or higher really to support gaming and streaming simultaneously and even then I've got no idea what exact GPU you'd need. I don't have any trouble running Overwatch at 1080p with a 970M but I don't have any experience to say how that stacks with Twitch. You'd have to do your own research there I'm afraid.

In terms of GPU you basically have 6 options:
    970M
    980M

GPU numbering is a little weird, the M means mobile versions which aren't as good as the desktop versions. The 980 comes in both mobile and desktop versions for laptops. The 1060 also has reportedly similar performance to a 980. The 10 series is also supposed to have moved away from the M distinction, with all chips being desktop class (so you won't see something like a 1080M). So in theory a 1060 should be similar to a 980 and both should outperform a 980M.

Luckily Overwatch isn't a massively demanding game and I've seen people say they can get playable performance at max settings at 1080p on a 970. Turn the settings down and you're good to go. Naturally performance on the M chips differs, if you got 60 FPS on a 970 you might only get 50 on a 970M for example.

Really there's a couple of things to consider. What sort of quality do you want? How much are you willing to spend? Do you want extra power for future-proofing?

Naturally the better your hardware the better your gameplay quality and streaming material. Equally the cost goes up. If you ended up going for something like a 970M and found it can just support Overwatch plus a Stream though then you're screwed in the future if you find a more demanding game, if spec requirements change, etc. If you only intend to use the setup for a year while away then that mitigates the issue.

Personally I think a laptop with a 1060 gives you the best value for money, giving you leeway to play more demanding games in the future and the security of knowing it'll happily support Overwatch and streaming. In terms of cost it shouldn't add massive amounts onto the price of the laptop in your original post, a few hundred at most if all the other specs stay the same.

Ideally you need to find some people who do laptop streaming and see what they say, they'll have experience and can point you in the right direction.

ReputationRep:
    Playing the games wont be an issue. I can run most games at well over 40 FPS with my 770m laptop on at least medium, which should be equal to or less than that 960m. I run overwatch very comfortably with it, so it shouldn't be an issue.

The streaming will tax the laptop, and I cant see you streaming any more than at 30FPS, but for just playing games it should be decent.

I brought a laptop for a similar price and it's been handy as I move around a lot, but by far a better alternative is to get a desktop PC (I have both, just for clarity).

If you really insist on getting a laptop, then that's about the price range I'd expect for that sort of spec/brand. You may want to look into MSI. In general though, don't expect top from a laptop even if it is advertised as a gaming one. By comparison, my laptop is better but it can struggle to run quite a few games at a decent frame-rate and graphics options, and it gives off A LOT of heat.

ReputationRep:
    Ok i've seen people saying its not good to stream and play games on the laptop, but what if you just wanted to play games on it, e.g. Overwatch? What would the fps be with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarthGrizzly)
    Ok i've seen people saying its not good to stream and play games on the laptop, but what if you just wanted to play games on it, e.g. Overwatch? What would the fps be with this?
    I play on a 770m laptop which is probably worse than the 960m. I get ~75FPS on high, dipping down to 60 in intense fights

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.