Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Visible Emission Spectra- EL2 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I'm doing some revision work for chemistry but I don't have any answers, could you please look at the answers I've given and see if there's anything you think is wrong or could be added to?Thanks,Blake

Questions:
    1 What happens to electrons in atoms when a splint soaked in a metal salt solution is put into a Bunsen burner flame?
    2 What does the atomic emission spectrum of hydrogen look like?
    3 What is the cause of a single line in the emission spectrum?
    4 Why are some lines in the spectrum emitted at a higher frequency than others?
    5 What do all the lines in a particular series of lines in the hydrogen spectrum have in common?
    6 Why do the lines in a particular series of lines get closer together at higher frequencies?

My Answers:
    Name:  WIN_20160927_19_01_21_Pro.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  138.4 KBAttachment 582964582966
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake Jones)
    Hi,I'm doing some revision work for chemistry but I don't have any answers, could you please look at the answers I've given and see if there's anything you think is wrong or could be added to?Thanks,Blake

Questions:
    1 What happens to electrons in atoms when a splint soaked in a metal salt solution is put into a Bunsen burner flame?
    2 What does the atomic emission spectrum of hydrogen look like?
    3 What is the cause of a single line in the emission spectrum?
    4 Why are some lines in the spectrum emitted at a higher frequency than others?
    5 What do all the lines in a particular series of lines in the hydrogen spectrum have in common?
    6 Why do the lines in a particular series of lines get closer together at higher frequencies?

My Answers:
    Name:  WIN_20160927_19_01_21_Pro.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  138.4 KBAttachment 582964582966
    1. Strictly speaking the question is incorrect. They are ions not atoms,.
    2. Several series of discrete lines each converging to a high energy limit.
    3. An excited electron relaxing to a lower energy state and emitting electromagnetic radiation corresponding to the difference in energy between the initial and final levels.
    4. The higher energy lines correspond to greater differences between the initial and final level of the electron.
    5. Within a particular series all of the electrons are relaxing down to the same level. Lyman n=n to n=1, Balmer n=n to n= 2 etc ...
    6. The energy gap between the levels gets closer together as the levels increase in energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    1. Strictly speaking the question is incorrect. They are ions not atoms,.
    2. Several series of discrete lines each converging to a high energy limit.
    3. An excited electron relaxing to a lower energy state and emitting electromagnetic radiation corresponding to the difference in energy between the initial and final levels.
    4. The higher energy lines correspond to greater differences between the initial and final level of the electron.
    5. Within a particular series all of the electrons are relaxing down to the same level. Lyman n=n to n=1, Balmer n=n to n= 2 etc ...
    6. The energy gap between the levels gets closer together as the levels increase in energy.
    Thank you very much!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake Jones)
    Thank you very much!
    ¡De nada!

ReputationRep:
    A level is death. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.