Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to start at a new university this September and I have to move in to halls myself since my family have no time to drive all the way from Aberdeen to Gloucestershire.
    To get to my halls I either need to get a Megabus to London then onto Cheltenham then bus to my campus, or fly to Birmingham and again bus it to Gloucestershire.
    I am intending to pack very light, most of my clothes, books and old dvds I am giving to charity or my little sister. I have a tv atm but I reckon I shall have to leave that behind with my parents and buy a new one once I'm down there

During the holidays I have to vacate my room, which raises again the problem of the tv! Argghh what do I do, obviously I can't fit a tv in a wheeley travel case for the coach........or can I? I have an average sized set, any ideas how I can package it for coach travel?

ReputationRep:
    Could you not put all your things into storage for the holidays?

ReputationRep:
    Most unis offer some storage for bulky items during vacations, or do deals with local storage companies.

ReputationRep:
    parcel force it to yourself probly better if its a flat screen though.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I shall see about storage over the hols.

ReputationRep:
    That's annoying - I assumed it'd be ok to leave stuff at uni during the holidays. I have 800+ records and a silly amount of DVDs that I don't fancy lugging around with me! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milk)
    That's annoying - I assumed it'd be ok to leave stuff at uni during the holidays. I have 800+ records and a silly amount of DVDs that I don't fancy lugging around with me! :confused:
    Most universities do let you keep things in over the holidays; it depends on your individual contract, check with your uni.

ReputationRep:
    Im using self-storage...by going up there before with half my crap and then moving the rest up the other time.

Most of this shizzle being clothing.

ReputationRep:
    What halls is it that must be vacated during holidays? All or just some?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your contract - if it's 40 weeks, you have to leave for some holidays. If it's 50/52 weeks then obviously you can be there most the year.

ReputationRep:
    depends entirelly on your uni my uni im allowed to stay all yeer exept the summer break and i have to empty my room for that period others wont let u stay but you can leave your stuff and others make you take all your stuff out evry holiday. I know that at glamorgan they do this because they acomadate summer school students in the halls perhaps others do the same or close the uni entirely hence why you can leave your stuff until you come back. check your unis accomadation site.

ReputationRep:
    what about a tv card for your computer/laptop if you have one???

ReputationRep:
    Do you really need a TV?? At Exeter, the self catered flats have TVs in the kitchens and the catered halls have TV rooms, so everyone has access to one. Anyway, between your course and your social life, you probably won't have much time to sit around watching TV anyway. Or as said above, just get a TV card for your laptop/PC. Otherwise storage is probably your best option, but it might be expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Get a car.

Failing that, find a friend with a flat and dump it there.

ReputationRep:
    Will you be taking a laptop?

If so forget the Tv and buy a tv stickcard. It means you can watch TV, and have access to freeview channels on your computer. It also means you dont have to have a TV licence so will save you some money.
    They are the same size as flash drives and just plug into the USB port.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you need a TV license for that ^

Ourkid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ourkid)
    I'm pretty sure you need a TV license for that ^

Ourkid
    If you have it plugged in ('installed' to use the official term) when you're watching it then you do, yes; otherwise, it will be covered by your parents' licence as a portable device.

So, um, don't watch while plugged in kiddies. Or better yet, evade it like anyone with an ounce of sense.

ReputationRep:
    Sell it to yourself on eBay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Do you really need a TV?? At Exeter, the self catered flats have TVs in the kitchens and the catered halls have TV rooms, so everyone has access to one. Anyway, between your course and your social life, you probably won't have much time to sit around watching TV anyway. Or as said above, just get a TV card for your laptop/PC. Otherwise storage is probably your best option, but it might be expensive.

You're joking aren't you? I've already spent a year at uni, its not every night out on the piss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedotcom)
    Will you be taking a laptop?

If so forget the Tv and buy a tv stickcard. It means you can watch TV, and have access to freeview channels on your computer. It also means you dont have to have a TV licence so will save you some money.
    They are the same size as flash drives and just plug into the USB port.
    Yeah thats not a bad idea, I was thinking of that. Plus I could watch dvds too

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.