Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I dun diddly ****ed up? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically this job came up which I really really really want and have been waiting a long time for a job like this to come up. I'm fairly certain I'll get an interview because of my experience doing the exact same role just in a different location. Oh wait, no, I'm an idiot.

So there was me starting my cover letter and thinking "You know what, let's introduce this in a really different way, let's not write all the usual gubbins "Dear Sir or Madam, after reading about this vacancy I would like to be considered for this positiogknmdfbgfjdkslgjksl". Naaaa, I thought I'd try and stand out. So I wrote:

"Hello, Having noticed your vacancy for (position) on the (website), I think the day I’ve been waiting for has arrived and would love to be considered for this role. Please find my CV enclosed."I'm actually cringing at the fact I wrote that. Am i worrying too much? Will they like that? Or have I blown my chances of getting the interview?And yes, I realise now there are better ways you can start a cover letter than "Hello" in fact it's a pretty bad idea. I've stopped doing that now. Pls help
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FightToWin)
    It depends on exactly who the employer is and who is reading your application. it's a high risk strategy/mistake, but it might work if you genuinely are a very close fit to the role in other aspects.

ReputationRep:
    If it's for an 'outgoing' type job (such as broadcasting, PR or sales) then I'd say it could pay off. If you're applying to to be a junior trainee chartered accountant I think they'll chuckle and move to the next cv. Either way, they'll remember you. Good luck, let us know how it pans out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    It depends on exactly who the employer is and who is reading your application. it's a high risk strategy/mistake, but it might work if you genuinely are a very close fit to the role in other aspects.
    You know where I've worked before and it's for the exact same role, for the exact same company, but in a different airport. They won't get much closer a fit to the role than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    If it's for an 'outgoing' type job (such as broadcasting, PR or sales) then I'd say it could pay off. If you're applying to to be a junior trainee chartered accountant I think they'll chuckle and move to the next cv. Either way, they'll remember you. Good luck, let us know how it pans out!
    I got rejected 😂 but it's fine because I got another job

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.