Turn on thread page Beta

Is fresher's week just about getting drunk? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've looked on my firm choice uni's website and the first events are clubs/bars. How am I meant to go to a club when I won't know anyone?? I think it's on the same day/day after that we move in. All the events seem to be club/punb orientated. I'm getting rather annoyed with it. I'm not sure if I'll feel like going...do most people go?

ReputationRep:
    You'll meet people within the first hour; never mind the first day - so yes, you'll know people by the time you go out for the night.
    Don't worry if clubbing/drinking isn't your thing though, there will be plenty of other people in the same position and you'll be able to find plenty to do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people fo the Freshers' events whether they drink or not so, suffice to say, I doubt that everyone will be slaughtered. However, if you don't want to go anyway, there are societies that will be planning and hosting their own events. Your department may also be planning its own welcome party or daytrip. Who knows? you may get lucky.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that I don't want to go...it's just that I've never been to clubs before so obviously I'll find it rather daunting. Yeah I guess you'll go out with the people who live in your halls. This probably sounds really sad, but I'm mostly looking forward to the lectures! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DottySunflower)
    It's not that I don't want to go...it's just that I've never been to clubs before so obviously I'll find it rather daunting. Yeah I guess you'll go out with the people who live in your halls. This probably sounds really sad, but I'm mostly looking forward to the lectures! lol
    That's not sad at all!
    Yeah you'll probably go out with your flatmates mostly during Fresher's Week, and then network from there. Don't worry about clubs being daunting, they're a lot of fun once you get used to them; and you can always just sit down and chat in them if you're not happy mingling, drinking or dancing.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it is mostly about getting drunk, but there are also plenty of other events going on. Clubs and societies run taster sessions to try and entice you to join, the volunteering orgnaisations try and lure you in and there will probably be organised tours of the uni and local area. You'll go out with your flatmates to start with.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I think it's sad that people wouldn't look forward to lectures. They're the ones paying up to £3000 per year in tuition fees #rofl#

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessery to go to freshersweek? What do you exactly do during the week, apart from joining clubs and drinking?

ReputationRep:
    ^ Make friends.

ReputationRep:
    You enrol for your course in most cases; and many universities also have introduction classes, to set up the basics of the course and allow you to meet your coursemates.
    I wouldn't advise not going if your uni offers all this; it's pretty important, and if you miss out on it, you'd likely find it a lot harder to settle in afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am living at home so I guess the best way to meet people would be during freshers week? Is it supposed to be a week long?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v2006)
    Well I am living at home so I guess the best way to meet people would be during freshers week? Is it supposed to be a week long?
    Some are a week, others are a fortnight; it varies between unis, check up on the union website. And yeah, you'll need to meet people during Freshers or there's going to be groups formed by the time you go in to make friends, which might make it more difficult to fit in.

ReputationRep:
    cheers for the advice, erm do you know how long we have to be at the uni for? or is that just up to the person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v2006)
    cheers for the advice, erm do you know how long we have to be at the uni for? or is that just up to the person?
    During Freshers? You're only going to be needed in for any timetabled introductory classes if your uni has those.
    Once you're in though, you might want to take time to go to any fairs and sign up to clubs/socs or get freebies.
    Also, your course might organise social events which it'd be good to attend.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok sounds good, thanks for the advice again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v2006)
    oh ok sounds good, thanks for the advice again!
    No problem Enjoy Freshers!

ReputationRep:
    My friends who are all at Uni already have a great Freshers week advice. Ig offered any freebies take 2 instead of one. Thats all they offered me. What noobs.

ReputationRep:
    I've looked on my firm choice uni's website and the first events are clubs/bars. How am I meant to go to a club when I won't know anyone?? I think it's on the same day/day after that we move in. All the events seem to be club/punb orientated. I'm getting rather annoyed with it. I'm not sure if I'll feel like going...do most people go?
    I'd advise against getting drunk from experience. When someone approaches you and starts talking and you slur "who are you?!" after apparently having met them at 5/6 other events, each of which you've had a few drinks before meeting them, they tend not to be impressed and give up. That and deciding speed dating would be hilarious only having to sit with these people every day for the next 6 years... People tend to go to clubs etc with whoever's in their flat/halls until everyone gets to know one another. Your flatmates'll want someone to go with just as much as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    During Freshers? You're only going to be needed in for any timetabled introductory classes if your uni has those.
    Once you're in though, you might want to take time to go to any fairs and sign up to clubs/socs or get freebies.
    Also, your course might organise social events which it'd be good to attend.
    freebies you say?
    please, do tell..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moogle301)
    freebies you say?
    please, do tell..
    Well at my uni, we got things like free Pot Noodles, Frisbees, Alcohol, Pencils, Deodorant...y'know, student essentials lol.
    The food and drink's very handy.

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.